• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Quandry

Hassles

5 Year Member
I have made attempts to breed A.cacatuoides orange-flash. My approach has been the same as all other attempts to breed cacatuoides. However, I simply cannot get the spawns to survive. The tank is well established and other cacatuoides (double reds) have bred in this tank previously. Two friends of mine are experiencing identical problems with their orange flash. They get them to spawn but the fry don't survive more than a few days. Is there a more appropriate approach for this cacatuoides varient that I should be taking?

I am at a loss to ascertain what the dramas could be. hmm, while I'm at it I am having a very similar problem with A.agassizzi fire-red

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Both of these fish are line-bred strains. Maybe something bad has been bred in (or out) of the strains that you have - like domestic Rams. I bred Orange-flash once. They were not the good parents that wildcaught cacatuoiedes were, but not impossible.

Hassles

5 Year Member
Both of these fish are line-bred strains. Maybe something bad has been bred in (or out) of the strains that you have - like domestic Rams. I bred Orange-flash once. They were not the good parents that wildcaught cacatuoiedes were, but not impossible.

G'day Mike

I had suspected something along these lines. The female agassizi appears to be a good mother, protective, chasing away the other fish including the male etc. Two fry survive from the first spawn (both female), none from the second and now she has had a third but I cannot see the fry. Unfortunately the substrate is red gravel (same colouration as the fish) so unless the fry move I simply cannot see them. The female cacatuoides also appeared to exhibit typical brood care. The only untypical aspect in both instances were the small nature of the emerging fry. I might try lowering the water temp (usually 26) and reduce in-tank water movement.

Thanks for your comments - If I achieve anything noteworthy I shall be back

until then - take care

regards
Glenn

Hassles

5 Year Member
Success

Well here I am now happy and relieved that I have realised success. In both tanks I had been employing a small cannister filter (Eheim Classic 2211) which I have replaced with sponge filters. In both cases I now have rapidly growing fry. The agassizi female is still demonstrating excellent parental care while the cacatuoides female has all but abandoned the fry/juveniles to spawn again.

Having, over the years, bred many cacatuoides but no agassizi I am chalking all this up to experience. hmm, having no trouble at all breeding the A.abacaxis

I hope this experience assists others

take care and Mike, thanks again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….