1. Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Panduro - Pairs, Harems, Breeding

Discussion in 'Apistogramma' started by Leann, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Leann

Leann New Member

Hello!

I have some maturing panduro that are six months old. I started with, the LFS best guess at sexing, one male and four females. I shortly lost one, and after maturing I have been left with two pairs, not the harem I was hoping for (*sigh*).

The two females and my dominant male are showing breeding signs. My inferior male is doing okay but can get chased around a bit. I've read this species is very monogamous.

Fish are in a 55g bow front with plenty (I mean excessive) amounts of caves and split vision territory. Before the fish get too much older I'd like some advice for the longevity of my tank.

Do I bring my inferior male back and try to add 1-2 more younger females to the group? Will both pairs be okay together? I by no means have intentions of purposely breeding or keeping fry, just want nature to take its course and my fish to not get beat up. Any surviving fry, by some miracle, will be re homed (I'm not being irresponsible here)

Thank you for the advice in advance!!
  2. Mike Wise

Mike Wise Moderator Staff Member 5 Year Member

If you've read previous post here, you know that A. panduro tend to bond for at least the breeding cycle. This bond can continue, especially if reproduction is successful. If not, the pair often splits up and each looks for another breeding partner. Adding more panduros to the mix will just complicate matters, often leading to more stress and deaths. People know my preference for apistos in a community situation - mix several different males of different shapes and finnage and don't worry about the problems that arise from breeding.
  3. Leann

Leann New Member

Hey Mike thanks for the response, I haven't had much time to dig through the forum on the topic and like a newb just panicked and posted right away.
    When you say mix several males, would that mean mix several pairs of species as well? I'd have no problem taking the less dominant pair out and adding one or two new pairs or varying species.
    It would add some color to the tank!
  4. Mike Wise

Mike Wise Moderator Staff Member 5 Year Member

Why do you want pairs in a community tank? Pairs of apisto species only leads to problems in a community tank. Just keep males of different species together. More colorful and less stress for the other fish.
  5. Leann

Leann New Member

Females in the mix bring out more color and more natural behavior. This species shouldn't be overly aggressive during breeding, and even so my tank has more than enough room, this is why I chose a dwarf cichlid. I enjoy seeing them acting naturally, for me it's one of the better things about viewing my tank.
  6. gerald

gerald Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

You may be surprised by how small 55 gallons seems when there's more than one breeding pair.
    TCMontium and ButtNekkid like this.
  7. Leann

Leann New Member

That's also why I decided to go with a harem, the two pairs were not intentional like I initially explained.
  8. MaestroCygni

MaestroCygni New Member

As far as I'm concerned, panduros don't really understand the concept of a harem and almost always form a pair, leaving the extra female(s) behind.
  9. chris1805

chris1805 Active Member

But that's the problem, panduro's don't form harems they form bonds. So if you really want a harem, than you should switch from apistogramma species.