• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma pandurini

Poe

5 Year Member
Yesterday I bought a trio of pandurini and a trio of viejita II. I was waiting for the new fishes to come to the shop for a long time. Yesterday I was exciting until I found some problems.

First at all I´m not very happy with the election of pandurini individuals. I was looking at the tank in the shop for a long time and I couldnt see any female for sure. I was looking for a dark spot from the head to the belly as the pics in the krib. I was looking for anyone not so white or with poor coloration, but I couldn´t find a female for sure.
Finally I bought a big one and 2 small ones, expecting that at least one of them were a female.

I don´t think that all the fishes in the tank were males. The 2 small ones are smaller than the other one, but they are almost 2" size and fully colored. Beside the black spot in head and belly like nijsseni, how can I recognize a female.

Regards

Neil

At that size it should not be tough to tell them apart. Often the male will have a triangular black marking in the caudal peduncle (at the base of the tail fin). Males will be generally bluer and should lack the black leading edge of the ventral fin. Usually the marking in the middle of the body(lateral blotch) that can extend down to the belly and the mark on the cheek that can be thick, almost a blotch. Hope this helps.

Poe

5 Year Member
Yes, I think it helps.
At least one of them, the small one have a black margin on ventral fines. I suppose is a female beside it doesn´t have a lateral black bloch yet.
I´ll cross my fingers :)

Regards

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
Pandurini females vary widely in the side coloration. Some have the Black band some don't, some have a spot and some don't have anything--the audal peduncle spot and dark markings on the leading edge of the ventral fins are the best indicators. I have seen females with a band on one side and nothing on the other!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marakely

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(