• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Nijsseni

J

Jellylolac

I am thinking of these of apistos for my final choice my problem, however, is this- I read these fish require a tank of at least 40 inches - my tank is 24 inches... Does this mean I can not keep them in there? Any comments would be helpful, particularly from those who have kept nij. :D

Neil

Jellylolac,
Nijsenni is one of the more aggressive apistos, so it would be understandable that some would suggest larger quarters than what you are intending. However, I have bred nijsenni in a 10g. before and, currently, have a pair with 3 different spawns in a 15g (24"). Now it is a bit nippy in there at times, but not down-right deadly. I think that it is totally reasonable to keep a pair in a 24" tank. You may want to make sure that there is plenty of structure with alot of caves, rocks, and plants for one or the other to escape if necessary. Also, if you add dithers (tetras, etc.) it will moderate the aggression a little. Don't believe everything that you read. I have bred 2 Pelvicachromis humilus and 2 Crenicichla sp. in a 24" tank, which I was told was impossible. Maybe not the smartest :roll: , but obviously not impossible. Give it a go and just keep a close eye on things. You may have problems, but it is more likely that the aggression will just be the usual breeding stuff(just a little threatening and roughing up, but not serious injury or death).
Neil

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marakely

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(