• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma likes/dislikes

J

Jellylolac

I am currently cycling a 15 gallon tank which will hold a pair of apistos, 6 neons, and 3 cories. What I have yet to decide is what kind of apisto :roll: My lfs is able to order the kind I want so accesibilty is not an issue. I am interested in people's favorites/ least favorites from experience. I am particularly interested in an apisto which has a good personality (understanding it varies from fish to fish obviously). OK, well thank you for any help.

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
For a first apisto, I don't think you can go wrong with any 1 of these three: Agassizii, Cacatouides, or Borelli. A pair or trio will do well in a 15g tank (I currently have cacatoudies and aggassizii in 15g tanks), the aggression is usually minimal (Almost non-existant in borelli), will spawn readily, and they do not require a PhD in biochemistry to get the water where it needs to be. Except for the aggie, which likes their water of the soft/acidic side, they will all do fine in a neutral setup with medium to low hardness. Hope this helps and good luck with them.

Ken

P.S. Dwarf Cichlids are highly addictive and should come with a warning to all first time owners: Beware additional tanks holding additional species will be popping up around the house :D

Neil

Jellylolac

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

I usually go with cacatuoides as a recommendation for a first apist. The water can be neutral in both pH and hardness and they will still breed with viable fry. They are usually pretty (the fish that got me in to this mess with just one picture). They are fairly outgoing with all the behaviors that you want in a Dwarf Cichlid, without too much aggression. And they usually don't mind others in the tank with them. They are just about the perfect cichlid. But then again, a bunch of others are pretty close too.
Neil

aspen

5 Year Member
cacatoides got me hooked as well, and they seem easy to keep in neutral water and are quite pretty and not too likely to cause problems for you. if it was me, i would put 2 females and a male in there, and forgo the cory's. you will enjoy that mix very much, and while tetras are reputed egg eaters, the cacs will be more able to defend their clutches against them than the cory's. ime, corys will eat the eggs at feeding time. they do not feed at the same time as the other fish, and apistos do a fine job of bottom feeding. you will be very mad at those corys if they eat your apisto eggs!

rick

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marakely

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(