• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma jumping

Andreas

Hi
Is it commen for apistogramma hongsloi to jump
I found him dried up on the floor
He was my First apistogramma so that is not the best start but detirmined to keep going

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Most apistos aren't jumpers unless something scares them. This can be caused by not enough hiding places, sudden light change and even shaddows above an open surface tank. I have mostly open top tanks but with a thick layer of floating plants. I can't remember the last time I had a jumper apisto. Yukondog, A. borellii have the name "crazy fish" in some local areas where they live in the wild. The locals can catch them by hand and the borellii just lay there for a bit and then jump.

yukondog

5 Year Member
He is the only apisto I have ever had to jump ship, I have had them [wild agassizii] get spooked and run smack into a rock or the glass [dead] but never jump, now the Borellii tanks have lids.

Mitchell Broome

I had a male atahualpa jump out of a tank once. The tank was on the top row of a rack and I happened to notice him in a tank of shell dwellers on the bottom row. I still have no idea how he managed to make that trajectory work, but thankfully he was fine.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hatchetfish are found with apistos in the wild and shouldn't be fry predators. In this respect they should be good dithers. Realize that these fish do fly when frightened. When collecting in Peru the hatchets 'flew' out of the seine before it could be pulled in.

Drayden Farci

5 Year Member
I had a male atahualpa jump out of a tank once. The tank was on the top row of a rack and I happened to notice him in a tank of shell dwellers on the bottom row. I still have no idea how he managed to make that trajectory work, but thankfully he was fine.

My LFS lost half a batch of atahualpa the same way. Top rack and came in the next morning to find 20 on the floor. No idea what spooked them, but could've been shadows presumably.

anewbie

I had 4 in a specimen container while i was growing them out (i received them a bit under 1/4 inch); and one jumped when i was feeding them. Landed on the floor 4 1/2 feet below. Seems to have made it (4 weeks later) though I worry it has some sort of long term trauma. The problem with the specimen container is they didn't have a hiding place - was using an eye dropper to feed them - now they are in a 29 and seem to be doing well - and a lot calmer. Occasionally they even come up during feeding.

Hi
Is it commen for apistogramma hongsloi to jump
I found him dried up on the floor
He was my First apistogramma so that is not the best start but detirmined to keep going

ButtNekkid

5 Year Member
Hi,

My first and late A. Cacatuoides male, "Marius", bit me once while feeding (not the first time that happened).
I spooked and pulled my hand out, fish still latched on to my finger. He comes out flying.
Flies in an arc on to a soft chair and bounces from there to the floor. Lived 2 years after that. Bad Ass. :cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….