• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Iniridae

DJ_JD

5 Year Member
Hello Everyone.

Here is the intro: I got 4 Apistogrammas "Iniridae" from Scott Arney a day after the shipment from Colombia came in, those Apistos i got came from this shipment, with that said (we know it was exported from there, this doesn't necessarily means they were collected in Colombia but maybe it will help with the ID) when i got them they were small and looked like Iniridae, since i remembered reading about this species being very picky about their water i made sure the tank was in great condition for them.

a day later 1 Male died leaving me a perfect Trio, anyhow today i went into the fishroom since i was shipping some A. Atahualpas so i wanted to see how all my apistos are doing i found my pair extra colored up and the male on the side of the Glass trying to get to my (show winner pike at the ACA) who is in the tank next to them. so i further looked into the Mom and i saw babies, her coloration caught my eye and the male's Dorsal fin as well, telling me that this fish is Not what we know (at least me) as Apistogramma Iniridae.

In an Attempt to get photos of them in their Pitch Tea Water i failed to get photos of the male but got a few of the female, also took a video and you can see him for a brief moment perhaps enough to ID him & her.

PS: just now went over the Video live on youtube and i can't barely see anything opposite from the Camaras view where it was very good video anyways i will give the link here as well with the photos of her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dJwxaolpME

newapisto003.jpg

newapisto013.jpg

newapisto011.jpg

newapisto006.jpg

Juan

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Juan, you are correct, the female is not A. iniridae. I am fairly certain that it is a species of the macmasteri-group. The black throat on the female is seen on A. sp. Schwarzkehl/Black-throat and some populations of A. hoignei. It really would help to see a male for a more precise ID.

RustedKnight

would love to see photos of the male.

Female looks very similar to my Schwarzkehl females, would go for a proper look now but its after lights out. The male in the video also closely resembles my Schwarzkehl male, but it isn't the clearest of videos.

Congratulations on the spawn and I hope Mike can provide you with the ID :)

DJ_JD

5 Year Member
Thanks, Mike and Rusted.

here are a few pics of the male, again this tank is not the greatest to take pics of.

023-4.jpg

027-5.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I agree, A. sp. Schwarzkehl/Black-throat. We see this species arrive regularly now. I wonder if the Colombian government is gaining more control over the Villavicencia-Yopal region - the source for many desirable fish.

RustedKnight

That would be fantastic news if true.

Or could it be the floods have moved them into an easier more accessible region? (forgive me if I am misinformed, I had heard that flooding had moved many species out of their natural territory, if only temporarily)

DJ_JD

5 Year Member
Thank you pals for helping with the ID.

As far as I know (because I am Colombian and i watch news of Colombia every night) lots of Floods this past year and also our past president and the current one are doing/did a great job kicking some butt, (sending those undesirable people to the borders, you can imagine which i wish not to name since i dont want to upset anyone)

Anyways i Figure i update you guys on the babies, since im 100% sure the 3rd female is in the back of the tank mom keeps the babies on the front of this tank giving me a big advantage to feed the babies and keep an eye out on them, also my Orinoco pike who is neighboors keeps the male busy :)

Juan

gerald

5 Year Member
I'll bet the dad feels like he's some hot $h1t successfully keeping a pike away from his girls and kids! I can hear him thinking: "OK you slack-jawed ugly goon ... just TRY and get at em ... I dare ya!

Anyways i Figure i update you guys on the babies, since im 100% sure the 3rd female is in the back of the tank mom keeps the babies on the front of this tank giving me a big advantage to feed the babies and keep an eye out on them, also my Orinoco pike who is neighboors keeps the male busy :)

Juan

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I have these poor quality photos of a pair of Apistogramma iniridae I had some years ago.
They are basically the Orinoco Basin's version of A. pertensis.
Male
A-6.jpg

Female
A-5.jpg

DJ_JD

5 Year Member
Hey Guys!!! i got a new camera!

Nikon12-1-11126.jpg

They spawned again within 3 days of the pictures being taken.

Nikon12-1-11069.jpg

Nikon12-1-11070.jpg

Nikon12-1-11073.jpg

enjoy!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
... more slender body (more like the true A. viejita), more round caudal spot, more elongated lateral blotches, and broad ventral stripe that extends onto the throat and ends on the lower lip.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….