• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma feeding

kappaalby

Hi,

I recently got my first pair of Apistos, Borrelli Opal, and I was wondering how apistos feed.

I observed that they pick the pellet in their mouth, start "chewing" for 30-40 sec and then they trow
it out and start again. The pellet looks smaller and or broken in pieces, but It looks like they rarely if
at all really swallow the pellet or part of it.

I know this can be symptoms of sign of internal parasite, but also some fish actually feed in this
way.

So here my question, is this an expected behavior for apistos or can something is not going well?

for info, the pellets I give them are dip into water/vitamin before being distributed

Thanks in advance!

Alberto

MacZ

It's pretty normal. My A. cf. ortegai chews on it a bit and then spits it if it' not soft enough. It's better to feed live or frozen, they really need that. I only feed every other day. I feed frozen white mosquito larvae, daphnia or artemia on frozen food days and pellets, freezedried tubifex or broken bottomdweller tablets on dried food days. As I only can provide ever so often once or twice a month I feed live foods, mostly white mosquito larvae or daphnia. If I can't get live I feed a fracture of a cube of bloodworms, that stuff is only for rare occasions. Last time was weeks ago.

kappaalby

thanks, noted!

I will continue keeping a close eye on them, if possible I will do a small video too

ButtNekkid

5 Year Member
Hi,

Maybe their feeding habits seem a bit peculiar. They are "eartheaters" after all. They sift through mulm and sand in the nature.

kappaalby

resuming this thread after a while...

all is ok with the apistos, so far so good! My feeling is that they had to get used to the new food and environment. They do not split out the food as before, just a little :)

thanks to all!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….