• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma elizabethae

starforsaken

5 Year Member
I'm getting 8 of these little suckers...

Any specific care requirements as far as breeding and keeping goes?

I had them a long time ago and they bred but the eggs always fungused or female eats them. I think it was probably due to PH. My tap water is ph 7 and 0 GH/KH.

I was thinking of using almond leaves and black water extract to lower the ph. Or is a more serious method needed? (like acid buffer or something)

thanks
coby

fishboy20

5 Year Member
First off, where did you find these guys? Second, A. elizabethae is a true blackwater apistogramma. You will need R/O to really satisfy it's need for soft acidic water. Of course you can buy one of the smaller unites and use it for the elizabethae as well as other species. Peat moss and rainwater can also be used. Try to get the pH under 6 with a hardness of 4 degrees GH and if you wish to breed them try getting the pH down to 4.5 and a hardness of 2 degrees GH.

Young specimens are listed as being susceptible to parasitoses of the skin according to Romer 2000. This basically means keep the pH low and the water soft. Other then water quality, this species is supposed to be like most other Apistogramma. Good luck with keeping them and if you get fry, I am interested in some.

cdawson

5 Year Member
fishboy20 said:
First off, where did you find these guys? Second, A. elizabethae is a true blackwater apistogramma. You will need R/O to really satisfy it's need for soft acidic water. Of course you can buy one of the smaller unites and use it for the elizabethae as well as other species. Peat moss and rainwater can also be used. Try to get the pH under 6 with a hardness of 4 degrees GH and if you wish to breed them try getting the pH down to 4.5 and a hardness of 2 degrees GH.

Young specimens are listed as being susceptible to parasitoses of the skin according to Romer 2000. This basically means keep the pH low and the water soft. Other then water quality, this species is supposed to be like most other Apistogramma. Good luck with keeping them and if you get fry, I am interested in some.

We don't need RO water, BC tap water is perfect for softwater fish. Neutral ph with almost no detectable hardness. Regardless, he's using a tap water filter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….