• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma cf. Agassizii (netz) eggs don’t hatch

Bramgroet

How big of a water storage do you have for this thing? I can have a small water storage but I will be using RO on the smaller tank I am getting then. But I don't think I need RO for this species cause the female is definitely defending something.

MacZ

photo_2021-11-17_10-26-07.jpg
16 of those. 5 liters each.

Bramgroet

Well then you do have to check on them. And switch them. But it would be a option to use more smaller containers.

MacZ

I set a timer (55min) and at least even if I forget them: they are inside the shower when I bottle up. No mess. Just goes down the drain. Which I rather want to prevent. And usually do. Only once I fell asleep on the couch and missed the timer.

Bramgroet

Which RO system do you use. And would anyone recommend one for me that is a bit of a starter one.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Which RO system do you use. And would anyone recommend one for me that is a bit of a starter one.
I use a 90 gal/360 l/day RO unit from Spectrapure. I've had it for about 10 years now with only micron/carbon filter changes, but then my tap is relatively soft anyway (<100 µS/cm). I use about 50 gal/200 l per water changes on my tanks. Like Mac I use a timer, and run it 4-6 hours/day when water isn't need for laundry, etc. It takes about 4 days to fill a 55 gal holding tank.

Bramgroet

Would that be possible in just one Artemia Hatcher or should i set up another one. Cause of the electricity bill our house is 19 degree Celsius so will the Artemia suffer from that. I think it only adds on the hatching time.

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
For that amount of fry? One hatcher should be more than enough. They can definitely hatch at 19C, you’re right that it takes longer.

Bramgroet

Oke well I have lamp hanging above it. But I have another question.

I will be getting another tank soon but do I need to cycle it for 4-6 weeks or can I squeeze the filter cotton in the tank and use some cycled media from my own tank. So that it is cycled faster?

MacZ

I will be getting another tank soon but do I need to cycle it for 4-6 weeks or can I squeeze the filter cotton in the tank and use some cycled media from my own tank. So that it is cycled faster?
Filtermedia will work, if you are able to fill the whole new filter it's a jumpstart anf you can add fish after 2-3 days. Just squeezing the media into the tank will not save you much time.

anewbie

That will work but i tend to use sponge filters and just move an extra sponge filter from the old tank to the new (I have multiple sponge filters in nearly all my aquariums).

Eddy. E.

I will think about it but the electricity bills are pretty high
This is, from my point of view, a weak argument, because those who care for fish should have informed themselves about this necessity beforehand. And that also includes the necessary effort. If you want a clutch of eggs, even offspring, then you have to make a little more effort. If not, then your choice of species is possibly the wrong one, without offending you.

MacZ

This is, from my point of view, a weak argument, because those who care for fish should have informed themselves about this necessity beforehand. And that also includes the necessary effort. If you want a clutch of eggs, even offspring, then you have to make a little more effort. If not, then your choice of species is possibly the wrong one, without offending you.
In a nutshell, the OP (original poster = thread starter) is still a minor and their parents are obviously not very much into fishkeeping (and thus have other priorities), hence the restrictions.

Bramgroet

m
Okay but my tank is at 24 degree Celsius. So my fish are okay. But according to you I should warm my whole house two degrees higher. Just to get my Artemia to hatch earlier.

MacZ

But according to you I should warm my whole house two degrees higher. Just to get my Artemia to hatch earlier.
That's not what he's saying. The way I know Eddy, he's a kind of "do it right or don't do it at all" guy, and I agree to the point, that If you can't provide something vital you may as well leave it be completely instead of investing time and effort in provisional workarounds that only give you so-so results from extra work.
In my opinion that's situational and I think there are indeed workarounds worth it. Maybe not in this case, but in general.
Also... you can just raise the temp in your room. Who says you have to raise it in the whole house? Or do you only have central heating and no individual dials in the rooms?

Bramgroet

Wel I don’t have the Hatcher in my room since it makes a lot of noice. And sometimes you have to do more for little results that’s the way it is. I don’t think that my choice of species is wrong if hatching Artemia just takes 1-2 days longer. I can do it in de cellar or in another room. The cellar I can’t heat and that other room we build later so we only have a electrical heater. And the rest of our house has central heating. I can’t get my parents to raise the temp just to get Artemia hatch earlier I think that is understandable. I can run two artemia at different times so that solves the problem. That’s the good thing at aquarium hobby you can do things at different ways and that’s why I enjoy a forum like these you get different opinions on subjects. Thanks for the help btw.

Mazan

I don't know what your hatcher is like, but I have my home made one made set up standing in a plastic container of water which I heat with a small aquarium heater. At my local fish shop they just use a heat lamp over the hatchery. Of course these also use electricity but I am sure not as much as heating the whole room.

MacZ

Wel I don’t have the Hatcher in my room since it makes a lot of noice.
You are aware that with a simple in-line-valve you can easily regulate this to a bearable volume? Ihad one of the JBL hatcheries running day and night for 6 months last year to raise the Dicrossus. On my desk. Next to the tank. 2m away from my bed. After a week I didn't even notice anymore.

I don’t think that my choice of species is wrong if hatching Artemia just takes 1-2 days longer.
1-2 days and just one hatchery can mean 1-2 days of no food available in case you focus on the nauplii as food.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….