• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma cf. Agassizii (netz) eggs don’t hatch

MacZ

She did not do that first she goes in and out of the cave a lot. And also is really yellow. Maybe I missed something the last time I looked.
As I said, pretty much the behaviour I expected after that first spawning attempt.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
How do you know the female is a netz? Am not 100 % sure if they are from the Rio negro. I checked today and the eggs were gone but she is still defending them?
What I should have written is that the female is not A. gephyra. She also shows some dark scale edges on the flanks more typical of A. agassizii of the Netz form.

As for the problem with disappearing eggs, either she ate them or they hatched and the larvae are now on the bottom of the cave. Patience will tell. Just don't continually keep looking in the cave. This guarantees that she will be spooked and eat them.

Bramgroet

As for the problem with disappearing eggs, either she ate them or they hatched and the larvae are now on the bottom of the cave. Patience will tell. Just don't continually keep looking in the cave. This guarantees that she will be spooked and eat them.
Okay I won’t look in there again. I did only look in there twice but I wont do it again. But I think she is just defending her territorie what mac said or is this not likely when really yellow. I do really like to watch the behavior. And she is super with the bright yellow.
What I should have written is that the female is not A. gephyra. She also shows some dark scale edges on the flanks more typical of A. agassizii of the Netz form.
Okay but we will probably never know for sure which species it is. But they will probably be both from the Rio negro but I will never know it for sure.
Only tells me she's settling in better.
Well that’s positive.

Bramgroet

I got the tester in. It is not the best but it works. One time it gives 160 the other time 180 and the other time 240. So we know the range. And I think that this could be the reason the eggs don’t hatch. I just swapped peat yesterday cause it wasn’t working anymore. So it could lower a bit overtime. But it is pretty high.

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
I got the tester in. It is not the best but it works. One time it gives 160 the other time 180 and the other time 240. So we know the range. And I think that this could be the reason the eggs don’t hatch. I just swapped peat yesterday cause it wasn’t working anymore. So it could lower a bit overtime. But it is pretty high.
To be clear, are these numbers EC or TDS?

Peat will not lower it much, sorry to say.

Aquaticloch

Peat wont lower the pH much if the TDS is that high. In order to hatch the eggs you'll either need to collect rainwater, use partial RO water, or distilled.

Aquaticloch

Sorry, poorly worded, I meant TDS as Ben Rhau was saying, and you'll need a lower TDS in order to have the eggs hatch.

In actuality, pH won't be as affected by the peat as it would be with a much lower TDS. So if you had a lower TDS the same amount of peat would lower the pH much more.

Bramgroet

In actuality, pH won't be as affected by the peat as it would be with a much lower TDS. So if you had a lower TDS the same amount of peat would lower the pH much more.
That will probably be true. I can’t know cause my tds is high.
Sorry, poorly worded, I meant TDS as Ben Rhau was saying, and you'll need a lower TDS in order to have the eggs hatch.
I know but I can’t use RO. And out house is from 1930 so the gutter has zinc in it atleast I think. The zinc could give zinc oxide to the water. If I use rainwater on my big tank I am getting a smaller tank soon one where I can use it. Than for a 50 % water change I only have to use 3 or 4 buckets of rainwater.

anewbie

That will probably be true. I can’t know cause my tds is high.

I know but I can’t use RO. And out house is from 1930 so the gutter has zinc in it atleast I think. The zinc could give zinc oxide to the water. If I use rainwater on my big tank I am getting a smaller tank soon one where I can use it. Than for a 50 % water change I only have to use 3 or 4 buckets of rainwater.
Adding a small ro unit is not that expensive.

Bramgroet

the money is not really the problem I do this in my bedroom and my parents don’t allow it out my bedroom and I don’t know where I can put the water storage in my room. I do have sink and tab in my bedroom.

Bramgroet

In that case, if you can't get RO, then you're only option is to enjoy the fish and don't expect successful spawns.
That’s right just looking what I can do.

But I suspect that the spawn was successful the female let’s nothing come near in a radius of 40 cm. And is almost the whole time in de cave. It’s been 6 days since the spawn so I will know it in a few days. I could take a video to confirm but I am almost sure.

anewbie

the money is not really the problem I do this in my bedroom and my parents don’t allow it out my bedroom and I don’t know where I can put the water storage in my room. I do have sink and tab in my bedroom.
You would put it under your sink with a 10 gallon storage container - of course when it breaks and flood the house while you are out of town your parents will not be very happy but those things seem to always happen. One being super safe put them in the bath tub so they flood the bath tub instead ;) but it looks kind of weird having a ro unit at the end of the tub.

Bramgroet

You would put it under your sink with a 10 gallon storage container - of course when it breaks and flood the house while you are out of town your parents will not be very happy but those things seem to always happen. One being super safe put them in the bath tub so they flood the bath tub instead ;) but it looks kind of weird having a ro unit at the end of the tub.
Well a 10 gallon storage is not enough for a 55 gallon tank. I could do it but I would not be the most handy to do. I will think it over and read some more but i don’t think it is something I can and will do.

MacZ

but it looks kind of weird having a ro unit at the end of the tub.
photo_2021-01-19_16-02-10.jpg
Or in the shower... I hook that thing only up as needed, otherwise it's stored in a small box.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….