• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma cacatuoides 20 gal lon

J

JLui83

can I put 2 pairs of Apistogramma cacatuoides in a 20 gal long? I will have lots of hiding spaces and plants....

ragmansrams

5 Year Member
depends on the prs

i've had two prs coexist, ive had trios where on female kills the other, ive had prs where the male kills the other male. guess thats not the answer you wanted

Noddy65

5 Year Member
I reckon that's a perfect and very correct answer...sometimes there are no rules, sometimes you just have to try something and be standing by with a net...
I have a pair of panduro that live in a 2' x 1' tank. They get along really well and even sleep together under a log at night, pressed right up against each other. I've never seen any aggression between them at all...

Mike

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have a pair of panduro that live in a 2' x 1' tank. They get along really well and even sleep together under a log at night, pressed right up against each other. I've never seen any aggression between them at all...

This isn't unusual for a well bonded pair from the nijsseni-group. A. cacatuoides on the other hand is quite different, being a harem spawner.

nc_nutcase

5 Year Member
I keep a couple pairs each in their own 20 gal and they seem to do great, but I doubt 2 pairs in the tank would do so well...

A couple years ago I set up a heavily planted 55 gal with 3 males and 9 females... one male went crazy , killed the other males and then started taking out the females...

Now I have a 125 gal that was originally stocked with 6 male and 15 females... the tank is doing great. A couple of the fish have died or been killed but they have also bred a few times. I've never done anything to assit the babies and about the same number have grown up as have died off from the original group.

So summarizing my experience to respond to your question... I doubt it but maybe.......

nightowl1350

5 Year Member
It will depend on your pairs. I have a male with 2 females in a 10g. They have spawned, but not parent raised yet.

I did have what I thought was a 3rd female in there till I realized the male was picking on it because it was a young male (not coloured up at all yet).

My male is older (the Dad of the femaels) and I wasn't sure if they would spawn yet, but so far there have not been problems with the trio. I would love to give them more space, but have no tanks to move them to. In the end I will only keep one female with him, but for now I will see who has bigger spawns and seems more likely to parent raise.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….