• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Agassizi Tefe fin spreading!

Xingu

Hi:wink:

This is my Agassizi!

attachment.php

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
FYI, this is not A. agassizii (Tefé). This is an undescribed species called A. sp. Tefé. Attempts to cross this species with A. agassizii from the Rio Tefé and other locations resulted in hybrid species with poor survival rates of fry. The fry that survived to adulthood exhibited deformed scale rows and fins, plus most were infertile.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
No form of A. agassizii exhibits wavy horizontal stripes on the body. The form 'A. cf. agassizii Net/Netz' is the only form with even remotely similar markings. In the Net form, the scales on the body exhibit dark edges around the entire scale, which forms a net-like pattern. On A. sp. Tefé, the wavy lines are formed by dark edges on the bottom of the flank scales.

I believe that you must be using old data. 15 years ago, hobbyists believed that A. sp. Tefé was a population/form of A. aggassizii. Commercial collectors collected A. sp. Tefé, mostly in the middle Rio Tefé, and mixed them with the local population of A. agassizii from the lower Rio Tefé. Breeding attempts from the original shipments resulted in some hobbyists getting normal offspring, yet many experienced hobbyists had problems. The eggs of their fish either would not hatch or the fry died or were deformed. Hoffman & Hoffman (1998) wrote a report on their 'free choice' breeding experiments with fish collected from the Rio Tefé (DATZ v.51(3):167-170). They showed that given a free choice, females were successful at reproduction of healthy fry. But when a female that had bred with a male A. agassizii was forced to breed with a male A. sp. Tefé, the results were always reluctant breeding attempts, low fertility of the eggs, poor hatch rates, and weak, deformed offspring. The same was true with Tefé females forced to breed with A. agassizii males. Although most hobbyists cannot distinguish a female A. agassizii from a female A. sp. Tefé, the fish obviously could. This indicates that the 2 agassizii-like species in the Rio Tefé truly are 2 separate species. Sadly, most books before 2000 and commercial suppliers still label A. sp. Tefé as A. agassizii Tefé - which is a different species, one of the many populations of the holotype form found in Peru, Colombia, and western Brazil.

Xingu

I translate, I'm not sure. sorry.
But, In Japan, This is recognized as Apistogramma Agassizi Tefe.
In Japan, if you like it everyone would say that Apistogramma Agassizi Tefe.
Recognition in the U.S. and different.

I used the translation.

fredmir1

5 Year Member
Apistogramma Agassizi Tefe fin spreading!

Are Apistogramma Agassizi Tefe and Agasszii Rio Tefe the same fish??

If so, I did bred Rio Tefe red over 10 years ago. They only for me spawn twice
I got 99 females and 3 males, Never spawn again for me

Xingu

Hi!Mr.fredmir1!

In Japan,Several types of Agassizi Tefe are imported.
Largo-Tefe,Tefe-Mutton,Normal-Tefe etc.
This is of them normal Tefe.
Even so Tefe various, slightly different looks.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Xingu, these are names used in the fish trade. They are old and do not follow more recent studies. There are 2 different agassizii-complex species that live in the Rio Tefé. A. sp. Tefé is the species with wavy stripes on the body. It is sold commercially as "A. agassizii Tefe" (incorrectly), "Largo-Tefe", "Tefe-Mutton" as well as A. sp. Tefe. The other agassizii-complex species that lives in the Rio Tefe is the true A. agassizii (holotype form). This fish does not show wavy lines on the body. It is one of many populations of the holotype form of A. agassizii that is found in Peru, Colombia, and western Brazil (Rio Solimões system). It also is sold as "A. agassizii Tefe" (correctly). Do you have any books about Apistogramma? I have "South American Dwarf Cichlid (1996, from Pisces by Matsuzaka and others) and "The Aquarium 2300 Atlas" (1997, by Matuzaka). Are there any newer Japanese books?

Xingu

These are same fish.
http://ameblo.jp/xingu86/image-11100270076-11635080736.html
http://ameblo.jp/xingu86/image-11113462511-11682021041.html
http://ameblo.jp/xingu86/image-11081054905-11616485512.html
http://ameblo.jp/xingu86/image-11081054905-11616485510.html

This Agassizi Tefe that I bougth at the store "an-aquarium".
http://www.an-aquarium.com/

"an-aquarium" is the most famous Apistgramma shop in japan.

"an-aquarium" Store Manager is one of the most famous person of Apistogramma in japan.

He is known for as much as Mr.Matuzaka.

I have many books.
Tropical Fish Collecthion 6 SOUTH AMERICAN DWARF CICHLID byPisces,AQUA MAGAZINE Peep by Mr.Matuzaka,japanese aquarium magazine "AQUA LIFE","FISH MAGAZINE" and "TANOSI-NETTAIGYO".

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….