• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto with chocolate gourami

DigitalBoy

5 Year Member
I was wondering if anyone has an experience or any thoughts of keeping an apisto (cacatuoides or other) with a chocolate gourami.

Neil

They are perfect tankmates for apisto. You can even try to breed them together by keeping the perms low. I had them a while ago for fun, but am looking for them again to try my hand at breeding. By all means go for it. Cool fish!

Z Man

5 Year Member
Chocolate gouramis are great to have but very difficult to work with. I always get at least 1/2 dozen when I see them, which isn't very often. The biggest problem is that they need more extreme water conditions than the Rams. The temperature should always be at least 80F and almost 0 TDS especially when trying to breed them. I have probably lost 4 different groups of these guys and certainly will try them again if I ever find them. I do have a very close relationship with a local "retail/wholesale" fish company and he says he doesn't see them very often even on the Fish Farm's or Importers lists. One other fish that is like this is the Altum Angels being offered these days. For some reason we (breeders) can't get the optimum conditions. Once that is attained, they should become more plentiful. So in two words; "EXTREMELY DELICATE!"

DigitalBoy

5 Year Member
more info

Thanks. That's exactly what I've heard about those beauties. Could you share more with your experience:
How do I differentiate male/female?
What number should I keep?
How often to do water changes?
Any specific changes to the environment?

Sorry that this post is now not really apisto specific.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….