• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto. viejita II

B

Bert

Incredible

The look like ....what was that movie called?
'The Incredibles'!

Richgrenfell

5 Year Member
Thanks again for the compliments folks. Scott, like I said, I have 3 extra pairs for sure, possibly 4. I could hold them like you asked, but only if you were pretty sure you'd take them. Let me know.....

Rich

scott

5 Year Member
Rich,
i'll deffinitely take them as soon as i get rid of the dempsey's in about 2 weeks time. thanks alot i really appreciate it. i don't know how it is for you in connecticut but it is very rare for me to find quality dwarves locally so i try not to pass them up when anything is available and those are some beautiful fish. if i can get rid of the dempsey's sooner i'll let you know.

Richgrenfell

5 Year Member
OK Scott, i'll hold them I sent you a PM with details. I do find it hard to get quality stuff locally in the stores, but alot of my fish friends breed dwarfs so I can uaually get some nice stuff. i am pretty tight with Mr. Soares as well, and he's always a good source too, and I haven't found anyone that can touch his prices!I am usually hunting for uncommon stuff. I currently have about 30 or so uaupesi growing out, and hope to get some pairs from them as well.

Rich

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Beautiful fish, Rich. I, however, would have called them A. macmasteri. It seems to have a lot of the macmasteri traits: deep body, truncated double tipped tail fin, lack of red tips on the dorsal fin, and a red shoulder pattern typical of "Red-shoulder Macs"/Rotrucken macmasteri. That's the problem with identifying domestic strains - too many changes from the original and possibly crosses between several different macmasteri-complex forms. Still a fish worth keeping and breeding.

Richgrenfell

5 Year Member
hi MIke,

I definately respect what you say. These guys are however, F1 from wilds that came in as viejita II which I beleive were purchased from mike and Jim down in florida. I do suppose that they could have come in as viejita and really been macmasteri though. Thanks for the Input, though, I always welcome your opinion especially.

Rich

Mike Wise said:
Beautiful fish, Rich. I, however, would have called them A. macmasteri. It seems to have a lot of the macmasteri traits: deep body, truncated double tipped tail fin, lack of red tips on the dorsal fin, and a red shoulder pattern typical of "Red-shoulder Macs"/Rotrucken macmasteri. That's the problem with identifying domestic strains - too many changes from the original and possibly crosses between several different macmasteri-complex forms. Still a fish worth keeping and breeding.

kribs

5 Year Member
Hi rich mike and jim didnt get wild vejita II they got chech/german bred ones. Also really nice fish and keep us posted on the breeding.

Richgrenfell

5 Year Member
Thanks for the info kribs. I was just going by what they fellow that sold them to me said. he bought them some time ago though, they weren't on a recent shipment. I took a good look, and mike is correct, they are mcMasteri after all. Nice fish though!

Rich

scott

5 Year Member
i currently have a few pairs of wild A. eremenpyge that i have been working with. beatiful fish but skittish like you wouldn't believe. in about 3 months i've only had 1 spawn and the female ate the eggs after i unknowingly but my hand in the tank during routine maintainence.

Richgrenfell

5 Year Member
Just to let you folks know. I pulled a trio and put them in a 29 high. I now have both females guarding eggs! I 'll keep you posted, and see if I can't get some pics of the guarding females up for you.

Rich

scott

5 Year Member
i picked up 4 pairs of these fish from rich. currently i have two batches of free swimming fry and one clutch of eggs. my question is for mike i guess since he seemed to think these fish were a cross. are they a cross between macmasteri and veijita or 2 forms of macmasteri. i don't want to give these fish to anyone if they are hybrids. mike said that they are "worth keeping and breeding" but would i be introducing fish into the hobby that could contaminate the gene pool.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
These fish are no different than the color strains of red swordtails (X. helleri x X. maculatus) - lovely looking fish, but still a mix of species. Are your fish hybrids? Probably, but there are at least 3 species that are very closely related & might be just variants of A. macmasteri. Wild A. viejita & A. sp. Black-chin/Schwarzkehl var. Red-flecked/Rotflecken (= 'A. viejita' CFII in Linke & Staeck) do not develop a squared off tail or have caudal extensions. These features are found on A. macmasteri. This leads me to think that there is a lot of mac in your fish. I would just call them "Domestic 'A. viejita' Color Form II"; that's what they are sold as in the hobby. If anyone asks, just say that there's a good chance that in this strain the fish have mixed parentage.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stripes

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….