• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto Jurensis or Schwarzkinn ?

bigbird

5 Year Member
Hi All,

Sold as Jurensis, but I think Schwarzkinn ?
Please advise
IMG_0605.jpg

and
IMG_0604.jpg

thanks jk

Rolo

5 Year Member
Well the black chin is very obvious so it is the Schwarzkinn.

Well, A. juruensis and even A. cacatuoides have a black chin, too.
Nevertheless, the fish in the picture is A. sp. Schwarzkinn.
A. juruensis and A. cacatuoides have blue lips, A. sp. Schwarzkinn has orange lips.

regards,
Rolo

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I'm pretty sure that (Mike W? said that) the Brazilian A. juruensis was either very rare or not actually present in the hobby at the moment. These are "Schwarzkinn", presumably along with all/nearly all the other fish labelled "A. juruensis"?

The A. juruensis illustrated in "Mayland and Bork:South American Dwarf Cichlids" looks a real stunner.

cheers Darrel

Mark

5 Year Member
Hey Rolo, you're right! I thought bigbird wanted us to chose between Juruensis and blackchin. Blackchin it is (all the fish exported as juruensis I have seen always is blackchin).

Mark

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The A. juruensis illustrated in "Mayland and Bork:South American Dwarf Cichlids" looks a real stunner.

The only problem is that none are the true A. juruensis. The fish on page 82 and page 83 (right) are A. cacatuoides (no separate caudal spot) and the fish on page 83 (left) appears to be A. sp. Schwarzkinn/Black-chin.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
The only problem is that none are the true A. juruensis.
Thanks Mike, I had a feeling you were going to say that, and I did initially put the specific epithet in "".

What about the very blue fish on page 80 of Mayland and Bork? that was the one that really caught my eye.

cheers Darrel

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Based only on this photo, which shows the dark markings poorly, my guess is that it is A. juruensis. I really don't like M&B's over-the-top photo postprocessing. They are very 'unreal'.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….