• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto ID?

tx_mike

5 Year Member
I could use some help on this one, I think I know what he is but confirmation would be great. He's about 8cm nose to start of caudal. He's part of a pair, momma is about 5cm and pretty much solid yellow/gold pinkish with a little red one her face and no black markings at all.

DSCF0758.jpg

DSCF0755-1.jpg

Thanks

tx_mike

5 Year Member
Albino?

Would'nt the eyes also lack dark pigments in an albino form. As for A. macmasteri as id I suspect you've fallen into the same trap I originally did and many of us do when id'ing this species. Look again.

Rolo

5 Year Member
tx_mike said:
Would'nt the eyes also lack dark pigments in an albino form. As for A. macmasteri as id I suspect you've fallen into the same trap I originally did and many of us do when id'ing this species. Look again.

Not necessary. So I wrote "albinotic". I meant, that they have missing dark pigments by breeding selection. Maybe I'd better had written "xanthoristic". (?) (but that's also incorrect, I think.)
These fishes have still dark pigmants, but not on their body. They also have colour pigments, what albinos/xanthorists doesn't have.
Of course, if they have NO pigments anymore, the eyes will be red.

But anyway, it is still sure a Macmasteri breeding form.

regards,
Rolo

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I must agree with Rolo about the ID. It shows all of the characteristics of a domestic form of A. macmasteri: long dorsal & anal fin tips, caudal extensions, & deep, robustly built body. It might have some viajita blood in it somewhere, but it isn't very dominant. At least that is how is see it in the rather small photos. Perhaps it might be better labled a xanthistic form of the domestic strain of the red-shouldered/rotrücken A. macmasteri.

tx_mike

5 Year Member
Thanks

Thank you everyone for your help w/ this. I had originally thought it was A.viejita/gold but wasn't sure.The line between macmasteri & viejita has certainly gotten blurred. I just looked up definitions of "albinism" in fish and it really gets complicated. It's sure nice to have a resource like this to call on when in doubt. Now I just have to figure out how to get them to breed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….