• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto ID?

Mark Allred

Recently purchased these on Holiday in Utah.
Sold as Apistograma inconspicua, is this accurate? I have never heard of these. I paid $5.95 ea. for them.

040_zps26d9a5d7.jpg

Does anyone have an idea on the sexes on these? What can you tell me about them. Thanks, Mark
They had been for sale one month earlier, when I was in there. These two were the only Apistos I could find in the Salt Lake Metropolitan area!
011_zps71fd7ba7.jpg

fart

5 Year Member
I dont think its Apistogramma inconspicua, its missing the double caudalpatch that Apistograma inconspicua has.
With part of bar 7 and the caudal spot forming a large spot.
So i don't think its a commbrae-complex at all.

maybe its a Resticulosa-complex spices

With regards
RHD

Last edited:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I agree. I'd need to see photos with the vertical bars showing for a reasonable ID. Might be Wangenflecken or even something like Steel-blue. They both look like males.

Mark Allred

Thanks Guys, I will try to get some better pictures with bars showing,
although i haven't really noticed any barring.

Mark Allred

Here are a couple more...
002_zpsa4b732ba.jpg

It seems you can see the barring a little better, if you zoom out on the photo a little.

001_zps1f01ba7d.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I still can't be positive on an ID. I am leaning toward A. sp. Wangenflecken from what I see now. It would be really nice to see a female, but not possible I guess. Without collecting data, etc. it is very difficult to separate many of the resticulosa-complex species.

Mark Allred

Mike, Darrel, fart,
Thank you very much for the IDs! Sounds like it is definitely a Resticulosa then!

I have another one for you gentlemen, if you would be so kind!
Eleven months ago, I bought 4 small, of what were supposed to be Apistogramma macmasteri.
Within four weeks, I had 3 separate broods of fry in the tank!
These fish looked like they were too small to be spawning to me.

017_zps4b47dfd8.jpg

The females are a brilliant yellow, when tending fry.
I assumed the males would show some red coloration, but I haven't seen any.

008_zps06624aae.jpg

Any idea what these are? Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….