• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto ID...Help

dcook

5 Year Member
I bought some wild fish at '09 ACA imported as "A. atahualpa" they do not look like any photos of atahuapla I've seen.They have spawned and I hesitate turning them in for BAP pts. In Datz book the M & F look like A.52 sp.masken or in that group. I was hoping someone here may have purchased these fish also to help/correct me on ID . I do not have digital camera. Female has 5 lateral spots(6counting peduncle spot) 5 spots on dorsal base while guarding. M has red & blue " worm markings" in face, horz. line thru eye and faint vert. bars in body(4), very pronounced peduncle spot, leading edge of ventals blueish. Hate to make them pike food. Thanks.
Dave Cook

Sharpfish

5 Year Member
That description does not sound like A. atahuapla. If you got them at ACA the bag should have had a seller's name and phone number on the tag it is required. Hopefully, you saved that information somewhere. At least you could contact them to verify the species. I always keep those things especially when picking fry at auctions, just for such an occasion. They could have mislabeled bag, I would hope unintentionally. A picture would help. I would not feed them off just yet!

dcook

5 Year Member
Apisto ID

I spoke to gentleman who imported the fish. He told me the fish were invoiced as A. atahuapas so he sold them as such. I may be one confused, but I thought Atahuapa had a head shape like Cacatuoides these seem more like Regani group in head shape. I had hoped someone else may have purchased the fish at ACA and could set me straight. I hate to pass along F1 fish as "unsures". Fish did come from Peru, but importer had no location.
Dave Cook

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
Sometimes it´s difficult to id a fish with a photo, imagine without any photos!!!

Few questions:
Any marks on caudal fin?
What´s the shape of the peduncle spot?
Any colour in the union of the ventral fins with the body?

dcook

5 Year Member
Apisto ID?

I've looked in all my books and the fish seems to match up in only one publication I own. In DATZ SA Dwarf Cichlids the fish I have matches up about perfect(M & F) to A. 52. I hesitate to refer to fish as mentioned because am not scientist or expert. I've BAP'ed about 10 Apisto species and not really sure what to do with this one. It's a nice fish just not what I was looking for.
Dave Cook

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Dave, your ID as A. sp. Masken/Masked is probably correct. Look at the caudal spot. If it is tall and narrow, then you almost certainly have Masken. Masken is commonly imported (under the commercial name "Apache") from Peru and is found in the same general area as A. atahualpa.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….