• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto C. not eating and hiding a lot - help please

Drakken

5 Year Member
I apparently have no luck with cichlids. :cry:

My male Apisto C. has been in my 35G hex tank for over a month. Usually he is active, eats right away, explores the tank, guards his cave and changes colors. The last few days he has been hiding more and now he isn't eating. I checked the ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and pH. The ph is 7.5, temp is 78F. I do regular water changes, use 1 tbl of salt per gallon and feed once a day alternating between frozen foods and prepared.

The only new changes were that I added Proper pH 7.0 from Aquarium Pharm. and put in a few neons and harlequins. Everything went in 3 weeks ago.

Am I doing anything wrong or is there something else I should do??? I don't want to loose this fish.

farm41

5 Year Member
What is the salt for? Do some water changes without using salt. Salt is okay for some medicinal purposes, but should not be used as a regular addition to the tank water. These are all freshwater fish.

What is in 'Proper Ph 7.0'? Your cacs won't care if the Ph is 7.0 or 7.5.

What are the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings? What is your water change schedule and how much?

farm41

5 Year Member
Here is a real good article on when to use salt and why to not use salt.

Salt of the Earth

BTW 1tbs salt per gallon is a high dose for any reason. I would do a couple of 30% water changes and leave the salt out.

Randall

5 Year Member
Sick Fish?

Dear Drakken,

Farm41 and I are in complete agreement. It might be a good idea to perform a series of partial water changes to remove the salt and Proper pH from your system. Neither of these additives are necessary; and if you're Apisto's behavior is any indication, are not doing you or your fish any good. With a 7.5 pH, your water probably has all the electolytes that your fish need. Temperature may or may not be a factor here, but I'd lower it to 76 degrees. None of the fish you mentioned are "hot" water fish.

The additives notwithstanding, does your fish show any of the following symptoms:

1. Swelling in the abdominal area.
2. Fading coloration or puky brownish or grayish coloration.
3. Lack of appetite.
4. Long stringy white feces hanging from the anal pore.

Please respond to the above ASAP!

Thank you.

Randall Kohn

Drakken

5 Year Member
I am doing a water change right now and I won't add anything to the water. Is there anything else I can do?

vancat

5 Year Member
I was reading the thread and barely got through the first post when I went: huh? SALT? I don't even use salt for my mollies even though lots of sources say to.
Water change! Water change! Water change!
hope that helps.

Drakken

5 Year Member
Sick Fish?

Randall said:
The additives notwithstanding, does your fish show any of the following symptoms:

1. Swelling in the abdominal area.
2. Fading coloration or puky brownish or grayish coloration.
3. Lack of appetite.
4. Long stringy white feces hanging from the anal pore.

Please respond to the above ASAP!

Thank you.

Randall Kohn

I haven't noticed any swelling or other physical changes. He usually is a brown color and sometimes turns yellow (which I beieve is normal).

He is not eating and is hanging out in one spot most of the time.

No stringy stuff.

I just did a water change and cleaned the filter. When should I do the next water change? Tomorrow?

Thanks for the help!

Drakken

5 Year Member
Neil said:
I agree with all of the above. Wait a day to allow acclimation to the changing conditions and then do another.
Neil

Thank you everyone!

He did eat a little tonight, so that is a good sign. I let you all know what happens.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buthag

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….