• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto Borelli Fry Food

archangelvk

I saw my female Apisto Borelli swimming around with around 20 fry today. The tank is a 23G with 3 Amano shrimp and around 10 red cherry shrimp. Other then that, its just her and her fry. This is my first time dealing with fry and I know on the internet it says to feed Apisto Fry Newly hatched BBS, but if I dont have access to those, is there anything else I can feed them? Im currently giving them micro worms with some crushed flaked food thats almost powered like. Im also hoping that the java moss in the tank will provide some microscopic critters they will eat? Is this enough or are they doomed?

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I saw my female Apisto Borelli swimming around with around 20 fry today. The tank is a 23G with 3 Amano shrimp and around 10 red cherry shrimp. Other then that, its just her and her fry. This is my first time dealing with fry and I know on the internet it says to feed Apisto Fry Newly hatched BBS, but if I dont have access to those, is there anything else I can feed them? Im currently giving them micro worms with some crushed flaked food thats almost powered like. Im also hoping that the java moss in the tank will provide some microscopic critters they will eat? Is this enough or are they doomed?
I've raised fry in a weedy tank without using BBS and only additionally feeding micro-worms.

Java moss is really useful because it snags the microwroms and makes them available to the fry. I'm a <"great moss fan">. You could try squeezing out a filter sponge, you usually get plenty of rotifers etc from these

You could add some <"structural leaf litter"> if you don't have any in the tank? It is useful for generating micro-organisms, and the shrimps will like it.

These are the sorts of tanks I keep
dicrossus_clup1_resize-1-jpg.41359

Best of luck Darrel

Last edited:

Ade205

As Darrel said!

Is the tank heavily planted? Reason I ask is because I have 120ltr community that's all wrong for Apistos really. Corys, solitary and violent Discus who's been retired to this tank due to anti social issues towards other Discus! Lots of shoaling fish, and 2 pairs of Cacatuoides. Tank is heavily planted and receives quite a bit of direct sunlight which gives a good hit of algea, quite a bit of which is bba. I feed nothing for fry when the cacs breed, yet I have a constant supply of Cacatuoides fry surviving in this tank and zero issues with any of the tank mates. Usually don't see the young cacs untill their about quarter of an inch, by half an inch in size they are coming out and feeding in the open. Only the males cacs seen to have a go at eating, or at least chasing them. Just to counter this though, in another tank i once witnesses a female Cac go to town on a cory that ventured into her cave!
You would be surprised at how well fry can survive, I'm always amazed. It's ironic they survive with no specific feeding from me as their parents are such picky eaters!

Ade.

timothymoffin

timothymoffin

yukondog

5 Year Member
I'm currently giving them micro worms with some crushed flaked food that's almost powered like. I'm also hoping that the java moss in the tank will provide some microscopic critters they will eat? Is this enough or are they doomed?
You could add some boiled egg yoke [a little goes a long way], I have used this in a pinch with good results and with micro worms [ I have never used and assume there small enough] I would think it would work fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….