• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

apisto´s for 40ltr/10gallons

apisto85

5 Year Member
I've just restarted my aquarium hobby and have acguired a somewhat small aquarium for apistos, but really want them.

Can i keep a pair of them in such a small space, and if so, which species would be peaceful enough?
Should i buy a pair or a trio?
Can they breed in such a small habitat?

Thanks

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A pair of A. borellii or A. cf. caetei Rotwangen will do very well in a tank this size. With experience many other species can be safely housed in 40 l/10 gal aquarium.

apisto85

5 Year Member
thanks
I dont think caetei has been in stores in finland yet. Borellii is sold currently. Are there any more?

I have kept apistogramma geisleri in a tank that size in the past and they spawned, but i dont now where to get thows anymore.

Can i keep a few tetras in the tanks too as dither fish so the apistos wont get timid?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If you have experience with apistos, pairs of many other species can be housed in small tank. Many, however, might need to be separated - espexcially while the female has fry. If you can do this, I would try - pairs only - of any apisto except: A. atahualpa, A. huascar, A. martini, A. pantalone. Most species related to A. nijsseni will do well if they have already formed a bonded pair. It is important that there are many hiding places - not just 2 or 3 - and that the aquarium aquascaping does not permit a fish to see across the entire length of the aquarium. Two or 3 small surface-dwelling tertas, as target/dither fish, will help. Avoid schooling tetras that do not act normally if not in a school. These are often very efficient fry predators (no Red Neons or Red-head tetras!). The best are pencilfish or hatchetfish.

apisto85

5 Year Member
I think i'll stick with cacatuoides or borellii, just so there wouldn't be any trouple.
I dont have another tank(atleast yet) that i could seperate the male to.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….