• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Angry Eunotus

BillyBlanks

5 Year Member
Hi everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster here.

I bought a pair of young Ap. Eunotus about 2 weeks ago and it seems the male and female dont get along. I had them in the same 10G tank initially and they kept fighting for their own little territory non stop and so i put the male in a 10G tank next to the original for a few days so hopefully the female would miss him and get more ready to spawn. I put him back in with her and she became very territorially agressive and the 2 had a large fight with lip locking and even fin locking! How can i get the pair to bond? I can purchase either an extra male or female eunotos to put in with the female or put another pair of apistos in the neighbouring tank. What is the best way to get the pair to bond?

Thanks for any replies :)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Lip locking is much more common between 2 males (or 2 females) than between a male & a female. Are you sure your female really is a female? Another possiblity is that your 10 is too small or is not adequately decorated to provide territories for both.

AquaAlbatros

5 Year Member
mmmm, i think you have two males, but here are some ideas to keep agression level down :
put more hiding places, relocate it several times in a month, overstock with more males. But sometimes, nothing is good and you just have to separate it.-
Greetings,
Juan.-

BillyBlanks said:
Hi everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster here.

I bought a pair of young Ap. Eunotus about 2 weeks ago and it seems the male and female dont get along. I had them in the same 10G tank initially and they kept fighting for their own little territory non stop and so i put the male in a 10G tank next to the original for a few days so hopefully the female would miss him and get more ready to spawn. I put him back in with her and she became very territorially agressive and the 2 had a large fight with lip locking and even fin locking! How can i get the pair to bond? I can purchase either an extra male or female eunotos to put in with the female or put another pair of apistos in the neighbouring tank. What is the best way to get the pair to bond?

Thanks for any replies :)

BillyBlanks

5 Year Member
It is defenitely a pair as their is obvious sexual dimorphism present. Today the female has started digging gravel out from within caves which is often a pre-spawning ritual so I think she is almost ready. I might put the male back in tomorrow and see what happens.

Here is the female:
fem-cave.gif

Here is the male:
euntos-male2.gif

Female currently in this tank alone:
tank1.jpg

Maybe it is too small?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It looks like you have a pair all right. I think you will be more successful if you can put some plants in the front of the tank, to break up the line-of-sight between the 2 ends.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyzhCrord

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….