• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

amazon swords and runners

When i was still a beginner aquatic planter, i cut of their runners, qestion is will they ever grow them back? it has been months since i did this and nothing. anything special i need to do?

mcintosh

5 Year Member
Feed the roots. Swords need lots of food so add some fertilizer tablets. They will grow back, when they are growing well.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I keep a lawn of Echinodorus tenellus, Pygmy Chain Swords and use Azoo color fertilizer mixed into the sand. It is very similar to Osmocote. I think the Echinodorus species feed mainly from the substrate. Mine are growing in #20/30 white silica sand blasting sand.
I plant all my medium and large species in GladWare food containers filled with FloraBase and provide substrate fertilizers. In display tanks I conceal most of the container in the surrounding substrate. I like being able to rearrange my larger Sword Plants without having to disturb their root systems. They often become very root bound in my potting containers but as long as I keep supplying the fertilizers they still grow well. My Amazon Swords, E. bleheri get larger than I desire so I switched to the slower growing(in my tank), E. uruguayensis. This species grows more narrow strap like leaves so they still make good center pieces but leave more room near them for shorter species. I use the intermediate sized species or hybrid varieties under the larger swards.
I very rarely use any fertilizers in the water

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….