• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Amano shrimp good idea for Apisto Tank?

Christine-FishGrrl

5 Year Member
I have three Amano shrimp (not ghost shrimp) in my planted 25 gal long tank with a trio of Apisto cacatuoides that I would like to get to breed. Is this a bad idea? I'm concerned the shrimp will harass the parents trying to get at the eggs.

-anne-

5 Year Member
farm41 said:
I have amano shrimp in all my tanks, and all have apistos. The shrimp won't cause any problems.

Yes, but apistos can cause problems. My A. pertensis just can't resist the idea of teasing my amano shrimp whenever the shrimp is in its sight :( Pertensis also regards tiny pygmy corys as its enemy. Weird fish.

farm41

5 Year Member
So far, I have had amanos with Cacs, aggies, hoignei, panduro, inca50, and trifasciata. None of these species did much to the amanos, a little pecking is all. Of course, each individual fish has an individual personality and temper. So, anything can happen.

So far the most aggressive fish I have had with amanos has been a Nannacra Anomola female while she was guarding fry. She would do whatever it would take to keep them away, I would find dead amanos whenever she had fry, I always found the carcasses in her territory.

Christine-FishGrrl

5 Year Member
thanks everyone, hopefully everyone can co-exist peacefully in the tank. If the amano's get picked on a little that's okay, I was mostly worried that batch after batch of eggs would get eaten, or that the parents would be constantly harassed.

farm41

5 Year Member
I have been told, when the water is too soft, the shrimp will eat their own shedded skin to get the calcium. After a couple cycles of that, it must start to run out of calcium and die, one wold presume.

I have not used the shrimp in a breeding tank with low Ph, only in the display tanks, and I don't manipulate the Ph in those.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OzzynHarriet

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….