• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Alder cones needed

The-Influence

Iv looked and looked but with no luck ... So is there anyone here that sells them ? Willing ta ship to Canada ? If not do you know how I can go about getting some ?

Thanks in advance

Blake

ste12000

5 Year Member
Im not sure if Alder trees are native to USA and Canada but if you get really stuck i could send some over from the UK, it would cost a bit though as they would make a fairly bulky package..

Let me know if you get really stuck.

dw1305

5 Year Member

The-Influence

Well look at you guys ! I have been looking for months and found nothing ! You guys have links that state these trees can be found in the very city I live in ! I will still need to buy some as I'm not trekking through 4 feet of snow to find some lol ...

Thank you all for the help !

Blake

gerald

5 Year Member
In North Carolina we have Tag Alder, Anus serrulata along streams and pond edges pretty much everywhere. Ive used the "cones" a few times but haven't found anything magical about them. I'm not convinced they add anything useful that oak, hickory or beech leaves wouldn't do just as well. Is there well-founded evidence that Alder "cones" do something different? Or is this another example of so-and-so added alder cones to a tank of rare fish X that wouldn't breed for a year, and then voila they spawned, and so he wrote it up as a miracle spawning trick?

The-Influence

They have a anti-fungal agent that protects eggs and as well adds tannis . And since I have spawning incas in my blackwater tank they would benefit me well . My incas in my planted tank don't do as well as the ones I have in my blackwater . The cones will as well add to the scape well

Blake

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
There is quite a lot of scientific papers on the anti-microbial properties of Alnus "cones", (As well as for "Indian Almond" leaves (Terminalia catappa)).

Saxena G, Farmer S, Hancock REW, Towers GHN. (1995) "Antimicrobial compounds from Alnus rubra". Int. J. Pharmacog. 33. 33-36.
Abs:
The methanol extract of the bark of Alnus rubra showed antimicrobial activity against Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria. Diarylheptanoid and its glycoside (oregonin) were identified as the two constituents responsible for this activity.
J Ethnopharmacol. (2008) Jan 4;115(1):140-6. Epub 2007 Sep 25.
Webster D, Taschereau P, Belland RJ, Sand C, Rennie RP.

"Antifungal activity of medicinal plant extracts; preliminary screening studies."
Abs.
Of the 14 plants analyzed .......... Alnus viridis DC., Betula alleghaniensis Britt. and Solidago gigantea Ait. also demonstrated a significant degree of activity against many of the yeast isolates.

cheers Darrel

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
I was turned on to them by a corydoras breeder who swore the anti-fungal properties helped the eggs from fungusing. It seemed to work for me, so I go with it, although I've never read anything substantive that backs up those statements. Around here, I go with what seems to work, coincidental or not. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….