• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Agassizi Tefe Orange

MonteSS

Nice pair from Apistodave in a 10g. Male had alot more orange but darkend up when I added all the leaves. They seem to like it and get along well.

MonteSS

Yes it is unique. I just wonder why he lost so much of his bright orange, especially while courting now.

ErtyJr

Give him some time many things could have caused it. Feed him well and he will color up again don't worry! Either way he is a very beautiful male!

MonteSS

Last week male was chasing the female a bit, but she has plenty of hiding places.

Now she is giving him a chase, especially when he gets near her side of tank. She has yellowed up and has those black eyes.

Think they are close?

And yes I didnt mean to overfeed them

MonteSS

I was thinking that but I am used to my CA cichlids guarding the eggs closely and fanning them. She is more roaming the left side of the tank.

ErtyJr

My female lays her eggs and fans them. That lasts 2 days, she hardly comes out during that time. After 2 days they hatch but can not yet swim, then for the next 5 days she generally roams an area and chases all other fish away. After those 5 or so days, the babies emerge and she starts swimming them around the tank. I expect you will be seeing babies in the next few days if you say it's been a week.

I just watched the video. Did not see it earlier. I am 99% certain you have fry that have not started swimming yet. Did you see the part where she chases him when he goes on the left. Then after she sits a bit, and then swims off camera and you pan back to the male. When she swims off camera, where ever it is she went, she went to check on the little fry who can not yet swim, or who have just begun swimming.

MonteSS

They were getting along so well and close to spawning. She may have even had eggs.

Now he is alittle agressive towards her. She has tons of hiding spots. He sometimes allows her to come out and feed.

I did a water change with cool water but that didnt help. That removed some tannins and raised the PH alittle. Should I add some fresh dead leaves?

I love his look and natural beauty but the orange that showed when I got him have not returned.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
You can enhance the yellow and orange colours of Apistogramma by feeding them a diet high in carotenoids. These pigments are derived from algae and concentrated in the crustaceans that feed on them (they give shrimps/Flamingos/Salmon their pink & red colours). Cyclops or BBS are a good source of carotenoids (but not Daphnia unless you feed them with paprika or astaxanthin powder).

Have a look a this thread:
<http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/threads/different-styles-of-keeping-apistos-us-vs-asian.12750/page-2#post-70124>

cheers Darrel

georgedv

5 Year Member
I got a pair from Dave too and as you said they are beautiful.. I am also keeping them in a 10G for now, but I do not want to waste time, so I am trying for a spawn. If you don't mind sharing some info....water parameters and how you prepared the water and what you are feeding them?
As for mine, sandy bottom, lots of oak leaves, flower pot (or coconut, can't remember now), lots of java moss and floating plants. Water around pH 6.5. I do not know my KH or GH at present....use mix of local water and cycled rain water. Feeding them is a problem...I tried some flake food, just for variety but they did not take it...they like sinking Wardley shrimp pellets and live bbs. I am just wondering if this is not too meaty for them....algae wafers have had very little success.

Thanks for any help

george

MonteSS

In the 10g I had sand and oak leaves from the yard. My PH normaly is 7.2. Adding ALOT of oak leaves brought it down to 6.8. They did show some interest in each other at that time. She yellowed up. But no spawn. He used to chase her a little but the leaves were so thick she hid easily. Then she started chasing him from a general area but she was not guarding eggs.

Usually a large waterchange will bring on spawn but I think it just raised the ph and turned them off.

Put them in a 20 long and they ignore each other now.

I have had similar results with other Apistos (borelli, Trifasciata) and cant get aspawn. Must be my water.

I recently gave up on spawning the tefe orange and put them in my crowded mostly male varied species 36" 46g tank. That tank is great and all get along.

Here the wer in the 20l I added some baby fish to. She was yellow and busy chasing LOL

I fed kens crumbles, flake,small pellets, veggie flake frozen brine shrimp.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….