• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Agassizi Double or Super Red

merlin

5 Year Member
Hi Mike I new they were tank bred colours and I thought they may be the same, although the red does seem more intense in photographs of the "super red" so just better crossing. Cheers.

Derek

MadHatter

5 Year Member
I thought the naming convention, as with cacatuoides was:
Double Red - red caudal and dorsal fins
Triple Red - red caudal dorsal and anal fins
Super Red - red caudal dorsal, anal and pelvic fins

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The truth is that there is no one conventional method for commercial names. It simply is what the fish seller calls the fish. If he feels that he can sell more fish under a different name, then he can.

Melanochromis

MadHatter, the cacatuoides "Super Red" can be anything. Some shop here ordered them under that name and they turned out to be normal Double Red.

I propose the term "Pentacle Red" if you're referring to cacatuoides with red-black patterns on 5 fins.

MadHatter

5 Year Member
I like the internal logic of your suggestion Melanochromis, but I have my doubts whether "Pentacle Red" will ever catch on in the english-speaking world, due to the association of the pentacle with things supernatural.

Melanochromis

MadHatter, you're probably right. I think I'm biased because of my language. A Thai person will naturally figure out "penta" is something related to five because we have an equivalent word ("panja") but they have a difficulty understanding and pronouncing "quintuple".

Brown Water

I thought the naming convention, as with cacatuoides was:
Double Red - red caudal and dorsal fins
Triple Red - red caudal dorsal and anal fins
Super Red - red caudal dorsal, anal and pelvic fins

If/when I sell some fish from my spawns, this would be what I would used. Makes the most sence to me.
Most descriptive too IMO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….