• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Advices for breeding A.ortegai (sp. Papagei)

nddquan

New Member
Messages
4
I am currently looking to breed my F1 pair of Apistogramma ortegai. After doing some research, I came across suggestions that doing water changes with slightly cooler water and slightly raising the pH could help trigger spawning, while a lower pH might make successful breeding more difficult. My pair is currently housed in a 40x30x30 cm tank with a TDS of 60 and a pH of 6.5. Has anyone here had real, hands-on success breeding this species? If so, I would really appreciate any tips or guidance. Thanks a lot, everyone!
 

anewbie

Well-Known Member
5 Year Member
Messages
2,908
I had a 3f 1m wc that i kept in a 65 and all three females would breed easy enough; they each staked out their own territory though only one of the females was esp aggressive - the other two mostly got along though i'm not sure they shared frys. The male would circle the aquarium checking on each female.

I use ro water with tds around 15 or 20 - i never bothered to measure ph in that aquarium but it obviously didn't have any kh. I did nothign special to get them to breed - just patience while they matured and did weekly water changes - really didn't notice anything particularly about this species 'cept that one of the female was hyper aggressive to the other two and they separated by approx 40 to 50 inches which resolved the issue.
 

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
18,787
Messages
125,131
Members
13,673
Latest member
gr333n

Latest profile posts

Re-designing and starting a new fish room all over again. This time we'll have many more Apistsogramma species. We are expanding.
dimandobson wrote on Arnold's profile.
hi
dimandobson wrote on Ben Bergman's profile.
Hi Bergman. I have a pair of breeding dwarf cichlid for sale. if you are still looking, drop me your whatsapp number and i will send some videos to your whatsapp
martin_c wrote on illumnae's profile.
Hi,

just in case you happen to live in Germany (or Netherlands): I have a wildcaught female A. psammophila, you could have it for free. I have no use for it anymore.

BR
Martin
Top