• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Advice needed on apisto stock!

Lpetrone

Hello everyone! My first post here and I’m trying to gain as much knowledge before stocking my tank.
tank is 33 gallon 32.5” long planted pretty heavily
With lots of rocks and driftwood

I’m interested in stocking it with the following:
2 double red cockatoo’s
2 Apistogramma baenschi
2 Apistogramma allpahuayo

probably all males

is this a bad idea?

MacZ

If this was a tank for Malawi cichlids, I'd say an all male tank is fine. That concept is pretty normal with rift lake cichlids.

But what I could gather and observe about the behaviour of Apistogramma, this sounds like a less good idea. There is a reason you don't hear about that kind of stocking.

Flyfan

I've got two MacMasteri males, not siblings, that were raised since young together in a 10g tank. They were always so non-aggressive towards each other, that I thought they were a pair until they matured. They were moved to a larger tank and remain friendly. With that said, I still think 6 males of three different types, in that size tank, is probably not the best of ideas. If you do, I would recommend getting them young. Of course then, sexing them is the hardest part.

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
I think a mix of different-looking species (different body shape) is OK. Multiple males of the same species will see each other as competition.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It really depends on how densely decorated the tank is and how many territories it can contain. I will say that you probably will lose several fish to aggression. Any apisto you see hovering at the surface of the tank has no territory and should quickly be removed for its own safety.

Lpetrone

ok thank you all for the info. one more question, would two males be able to be kept together in a 33gal long? or would i be better off with one male and a couple of females?

also can they be kept with german blue rams?

Lpetrone

MacZ

Also could I keep one male cockatoo with some female BAENSCHI?

You are aware the females don't have the black and yellow colouration permanently?
While mixing males is already not the best idea in my opinion, mixing different species and sexes really pushes it.
Do you have any regard for the behaviour and needs of the fish, or are you just going by looks?

Lpetrone

Yes I know nothing about these fish and am going by what looks nice. That is why I’m here, to gain a little knowledge

MacZ

Then my advise in short for dwarf cichlids: Research the fishes behaviour and necessary conditions. There are websites dedicated to Apistogramma, Wikipedia has more than one article detailing the necessary tank-specifics needed and even Aquarium-Coop just uploaded a video on Youtube about Apistogramma tanks a few weeks ago that can be used as baseline info.

And by all means: Never only go by looks. That's got to stand back until you are sure you know the general needs of the genus.

And please don't take this personal. Apistogramma are by no means fish for absolute beginners.

Lpetrone

I appreciate all the info. I definitely don’t want to harm any fish!

I do believe my tank is ready to handle a male cockatoo.

could you give me some advice on what would be a good selection to finish stocking the tank?

MacZ

Allright then, those are reasonable questions.

Do you have a picture of the tank? That would help a lot with fine tuning.

I'd go with a pair of Apistos and a school of maybe 10 of some kind of tetra as dither fish. That would be all.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….