• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Add a pair with a solo female?

pablo

Hi! I've been keeping fish for a while, but I'm fairly new to Apistos. I've got a 55 gal community tank with various south America species : several tetra, bolivian rams, some corys and a brittlenose catfish. I bought a pair of agassizii earlier in the year, and there were doing well, until I lost the male due to a mistake on my part. Given that they are generally sold in pairs, I'm wondering if I bought another pair, would adding them in with the existing female be likely to cause any problems?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Often yes, but it depends on many factors. I personally do not understand why people add potential breeding pairs of cichlids to community tanks. All it seems to do is stress out everyone in the tank to some extent.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
5 Year Member
@pablo welcome to the forum!
any breeding pair is gonna wish like hell that they were alone. so in a way yes there will definitely be issues with the odd-female-out. if the tank is large enough you may be able to reduce those issues to near-negligible but in general it's not a great idea.
of course this excludes any discussion about other tankmates.

pablo

Thanks, I understand. I think my confusion comes from Apistogrammas being (exclusively?) sold as pair, whereas pretty much every other species you get whatever is on the shop tanks. Looks like I need to track down a lone male instead.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I think my confusion comes from Apistogrammas being (exclusively?) sold as pair, whereas pretty much every other species you get whatever is on the shop tanks.
The same is true for most killifish. My guess is because males, being more colorful and fancy, would sell faster than females. Shops certainly do not want to be stuck with a tank of drab females. Most aquarium keepers are not really interested in breeding, only looks. I have always thought that killies and apistos could be sold at different prices depending on sex.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonaldStype

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….