• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. viejita or macmasteri? Please help!

dpien

5 Year Member
Hi all, I recently acquired 1 male and 3 females of wild caught Apisto's from Colombia, which were labelled "A. cf. macmasteri/viejita" ! I know they are wild as I know the importer well and have had many wild fish from them in the past (usually from Colombia).
In view of the importance of trying to keep these species pure in the hobby, any inputs would be greatly appreciated regarding the true identity of these beauties (see attached pics of male and female).
I noticed from a previous thread here that they greatly resemble the original A. sp. 'rotsaum', due to the continuous red border on the dorsal and the black colouration in the first 3 dorsal spines. Also, there is some blue colouration in the lips and depending on the mood of the fish, quite prominent abdominal stripes. The lateral line is not continuous but it does have the zig-zag pattern to some extent. The ventral view of the female showing two dark blotches on the belly is also shown here.
If you need any more info on these specimens, please ask me!
Many thanks!

Ok: the site won't let me post decent sized pics here, so pls mail me if you can help me with this identification. Thanks again.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I probably can help you. Just down size your photos to a 600 pixel width. You should be able to add them to the site. You can send them to my email address, apistowise(at)earthlink(dot)net, and I can do it for you.

dpien

5 Year Member
Hi Mark and Ricardo, I sent two e-mails to both of you, one containing pictures of the male and one with pictures of one of the females. Thanks!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
dpien,

I have attached the best photo of your male:
Amac_viejita.jpg

It is a nice looking Rotrücken/Red-shoulder A. macmasteri. Don't be too disappointed. The true A. viejita (Rotsaum) is very rarely seen in the hobby. I have only seen it once - 12 years ago. Probably the best way to get this fish is for a hobbyist to go to Colombia and collect it.

dpien

5 Year Member
Hi George, as far as I know there are at least three different sub-species of A. viejita and this further complicates the identification issues within the A. macmasteri complex.
According to the latest Datz dwarf cichlid identification book, even wild specimens are found which have intermediate A. macmasteri/viejita character (A 122). It seems that, unfortunately, it's almost impossible to keep the two species 'pure', assuming that they are truly two distinct species.
It would be great to see some pics of your A. viejita.

Dan

fredmir1

5 Year Member
My males A. macmasteri (czech) and viejita (asia) do look different

My A. macmaster male is very colurfull and the viejita looks like a viejita 2 to me??

I try and see if I can take any good pic`s of them

George

dpien

5 Year Member
Thanks, George, would be nice to see..
There is indeed a lot of variation (obvious differences between individuals sold as 'viejita' and those sold as 'macmasteri' etc.) within the A. macmasteri group.
But what I mean is, I think the problem is that cross-breeding occurs readily and this has also significantly affected the looks of the specimens bred in the aquarium trade.
Even if they look very different and distinguishable from each other, it is difficult to say how closely aquarium trade bred specimens resemble the true natural ancestors.

RAF

5 Year Member
According to the latest Datz dwarf cichlid identification book, even wild specimens are found which have intermediate A. macmasteri/viejita character (A 122). It seems that, unfortunately, it's almost impossible to keep the two species 'pure', assuming that they are truly two distinct species.
It would be great to see some pics of your A. viejita.

Dan

I think that nowadays that's the question we should ask. Maybe some DNA tests would be nice.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
DNA studies show that A. macmasteri, A. viejita, and A. sp. Schwarzkehl/Rotflecken are closely related, but genetically distinct species. In the early 80s it is probable that the 3 species were mixed by hobbyists to produce some of the super colorful forms of the macmasteri-group.

Wildcaught A. macmasteri that are imported commercially into the hobby are probably collected very close to Villavicencio. A. viejita, which comes from a different and a bit more distant drainage doesn't seem to be collected unless by happenstance or on special request. Most native collectors - like most of us - have a hard time distinguishing the 2 species. They see no reason to travel farther than necessary to get a fish when a more colorful one (A. macmasteri Rotrücken) can be collected nearby. They are paid the same for either fish. The exporters, with rare exceptions, are more interested in moving fish than searching out specific species. They don't really care about the species as long as it sells.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….