• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. sp. Breitbinden - male or female?

boofeng

Hello

Below are photos of a single fish, the supposed "female" of a pair passed to me by a friend. The fish came in a Colombia import and were sold as A. sp. Breitbinden.

From the photos, is it possible to positively ID the sex of the fish?

Thanks!

WhatsApp Image 2018-06-18 at 13.27.59.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-06-18 at 13.30.27.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-06-18 at 13.32.18.jpeg

boofeng

I'm not sure based just on the photos. I'd expect much darker anterior ventral fin spines if it was a female. Size?

Thanks, Mike!

The fish is at least 3 cm standard length, probably 3+ cm (that's above an inch, maybe around one and a half inches). It should be pretty mature, the import was a while back (about January or February), and they came in reasonably large and well-developed already.

The middle dorsal fin spines seem be serrated (in one photo you can see little ridges along the folded dorsal fin?) - can this be positive ID of a male? (As in, would females only show serration on the first three to four spines?)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Still not fully developed. Most brevis-group species don't fully develop their finnage and colors until they are at least 5cm/2" SL (unless stunted). It's probably a young male, but can't be 100% sure. It might not even be A. piaroa (or Breitbinden). We see A. megaptera (or Breitbinden-Kurzlappen) more commonly available now.

boofeng

Yea, I'm getting used to this, I think! I'll just see how things develop. Thank you! :)

(You're probably right too about them being A. megaptera, the male fish in this batch all show longer anterior than middle dorsal spines, I'm attaching a photo of another fish from the same import - not mine.)

TEMP1.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….