• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. Panduro w/ other apisto's?

strohl71

5 Year Member
Just wondering if anybody has experienced success in keeping a. panduro with other species of apisto's? Is this possible or are panduro simply too aggressive?

Thanks in advance for any and all input....

cageman

5 Year Member
how big is your tank? If it is is big enough there will be fight but the loser of the fight will be able to hide and do its own thing. just make sure the other apisto is also brave enough for the agression of the pandurini/panduro.

strohl71

5 Year Member
My tank is 38 U.S. gallons (36x12x20 inches) and heavily planted. It containes 1 pair panduro, 1 pair aggies, a single female cac., 7 cardinal tetras, and finally one ancinstris pleco.

My male panduro is not yet full grown but still can be aggressive towards the other apisto's (except his female which he accepts without a problem). He has never seriously hurt another fish but does pick on them when the opportunity presents itself. Because the tank has plenty of cover, the other apisto's tend to flee for a short distance until they are out of sight.

Anyway, I was just wondering if any others out there keep a. panduro in the same tank as other apisto species and how that is fairing for them.

I am debating on:
1. Keep the tank the way it is.
2. Remove the pair of panduro
3. Remove the other apistos and replace them with additional panduro and thus making the tank strictly a panduro tank.

Thoughts anyone?

mooman

5 Year Member
I think the male will be equally agressive to other panduros no matter the gender. From my limited experience every apisto regardless of species has it's own personality. I had a cac that allowed my corries right around "his" caves. My current male panduro will not tollerate them anywhere but in the heavily planted refuge at the other end of the tank.

fishboy20

5 Year Member
While it will be neat to see the fish, let us hope that they are either sterile offspring or the person who spawned them will be reliable enough not to distribute hybrid fish. I have to admit genetics can be fun but I also think keeping pure strains is important as well. If the same thing happens with some Apistos like what has happened to the zebra pleco (and this is only a matter of time) then having pure strains will need to be relied upon. With that kept in mind, let us see what the fry turnout like in 6-8 months. Thanks for sharing.

blueblue

5 Year Member

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….