• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. Panduro aggression

lorax84

About 2mo ago I purchased what I thought was a pair of A. Panduro from my LFS. After about a week the "male" began to display female color patterns. Now both fish have the traditional large mid body spot that is characteristic of females.

So now I believe I have two females but one of them is especially aggressive. Is aggression normal with female A.Panduro? The displays at times look very similar to aggression I have seen in the past among competing male Apistos, but I have never seen it among females. I am really want to be certain of what I have before I go looking for males.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
What you see is not unusual. Female apistos often are more aggressive to other females than males are to other males. I suggest that you put a piece of floating pipe in the tank in case the subdominant female cannot find a territory on the bottom of the tank.

lorax84

Alright thanks. I will probably grab a male and give both females a chance to bond with him. Hopefully I can get a pair and rehome the other female.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marakely

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(