• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. ortegai identification

TeeeeRav

So I was sold five a. ortegai, was told they were wild caught from Peru. Seller didn’t know where in Peru. In the 75 gal there are two very distinct dominant males, one female, and two I’m not sure on. The most dominant male and female have bred and are protecting fry. The two non-dominant ones are always hiding, and have the same coloration. Would this be a female with a little blue coloring, or male that is not a. ortegai? Also, would I be correct to assume the male is A91 a.ortegai (papagei) from TomC’s website? Thanks!
21DC6925-31EE-43ED-88C6-9FD6BF1B3D16.jpeg
60815A06-E753-4911-AAD4-F7D7CC1122F1.jpeg

MacZ

The male on the second picture is very likely an A. ortegai. Looks very similar to my A. cf ortegai "Pebas".

So it is at least quite sure they are from the regani complex and likely A. ortegai. Can't get closer, it took me a while to be sure what exactly my ortegai are.

Mike Wise should know.

TeeeeRav

I’ll try to get some better pictures tonight. I’m new to apistos and didn’t realize all the confusion/opinions on what is ortegai and what isn’t. It’s all fascinating

MacZ

Just lately I read an article in a german magazine about the variability of A. ortegai. There is a whole lot of subgroups and forms of these fish.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If your fish (and I know you wrote that you don't know) were collected from the type locality of A. ortegai near Pebas, then you could have a merry mix of species. The type locality was contaminate with the holotype form from the middle Rio Ampiyacu by local collectors. Photos of the brooding female will help ID this breeding pair, at least.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
First photo: female A. ortegai (note: only 2 lateral spots).

Second photo: female A. cf. ortegai (Pebas) (note: a more triangular caudal patch, as oppose to a 'double caudal patch on A. ortegai; also will display at least 4 lateral spots in brood dress).

TeeeeRav

I was hopingthat was the case, I appreciate you responding.

I was surprised to see they even bred in my water, it’s about 140ppm GH according to the API test kit, with a pH of 7.8. There are 7 fry from why I can see. They all seem to be growing good with full bellies. Would there be I’ll effects in the fry from these water parameters? Anything I could read said these fish are acidic soft water fish and wouldn’t breed in water like mine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….