• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A new West African dwarf cichlid genus erected

a.d.wood

5 Year Member
Pelvicachromis sp. Blue Fin has finally been described:

Lamboj, A. (2009). A new dwarf cichlid genus and species (Teleostei, Cichlidae) from Guinea, West Africa. Zootaxa. 2173, 41-48.

Abstract
Enigmatochromis lucanusi, a new cichlid genus and species, is described from Guinea (West Africa). It is a member of the chromidotilapiine cichlid clade, and differs from other genera within the group in a combination of morphological characters and coloration patterns; e.g., twelve circumpeduncular scales; three tubular infraorbital bones in addition to the lachrymal bone; upper lateral-line separated from the dorsal-fin base; first ray of pelvic fin in adult females of equal length or longer than second ray; sexual dimorphism well developed; small juveniles with 3–4 rows of irregular dark dots on body; and breeding coloration of females.

Introduction (part)
In 2004, a small cichlid species from Guinea was introduced into the aquarium hobby by several commercial importers in Canada, the U.S.A. and Europe. This new cichlid clearly was a member of the chromidotilapiine cichlid assemblage sensu Greenwood (1987) as it possessed the characteristic combination of features of this group: (1) a typical, visor-like and well circumscribed projection (“hanging padâ€) of the pharyngeal tissues situated anterior to the upper pharyngeal bones of each side; (2) no microbranchiospines; (3) outer-row jaw teeth unicuspid; (4) some anterolaterally positioned teeth in the outer tooth row of the lower jaw, curved directly posteriorly and not buccally as they are in all other tooth rows; (5) tuberculate gill rakers on the first ceratobranchial. Females possessed coloration patterns unknown from any other species within this assemblage, e.g., a bright blue dorsal-fin in females. The species was initially called Pelvicachromis sp. “blue finâ€, and was thought to be closely related to P. roloffi. Further morphological and behavioral observations however revealed differences from the genus Pelvicachromis.

Andrew

RAF

5 Year Member
I particulary find interisting the gender name "Enigmatochromis"... I'dd like very much to read Lamboj explanation to that choice.

a.d.wood

5 Year Member
Etymology:

Enigma from enigmatic, refers to the somewhat intermediate characters between Pelvicachromis and Parananochromis in possessing pigmentation similarities to the first, but anatomical similarities to the second genus; and chromis – a common ending for African cichlid fishes. Gender masculine.

lucanusi: The species name is dedicated to the collector, aquarist and friend Oliver Lucanus.

Andrew

RAF

5 Year Member
Etymology:

Enigma from enigmatic, refers to the somewhat intermediate characters between Pelvicachromis and Parananochromis in possessing pigmentation similarities to the first, but anatomical similarities to the second genus; and chromis – a common ending for African cichlid fishes. Gender masculine.
Andrew

Thanks Andrew... I was looking for that answer, on why was it enigmatic.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I like the name. The fish is a bit of a taxonomic mystery, so the use of the root 'enigma' makes sense to me. Oliver Lucanus provided Anton with the type material of the fish. Interestingly, it is arguable that Oliver discovered this species. Or at least rediscovered it. I have talked to a couple aquarists who swear they had the fish 20+ years ago and bought them as P. roloffi. Very possible. But I think Oliver is the first to recognize that it is truly different when he found it in (I think) 2003 on an expedition to Guinea.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….