• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A new Apistogramma: Apistogramma playayacu sp. n.

regani

5 Year Member
nice looking fish. What always amazes me is how they manage to relate the preserved specimens to live ones, they don’t really look that much alike… but I guess that some of the underlying dark colorations, pores, and of course bone structures don’t change, we just don’t notice them that much in live fish

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
This is the same species previously introduced to the hobby as "A. sp. Caquetá" (A 84). When Uwe, David Soares, and I were at Chicago's Field Museum a few years back, to examine the holotype of Heterogramma trifasciatum macilense - aon another completely different topic, we were invited to look at preserved apisto specimens from Ecuador that they had in their collection. We recognized A. payaminonis, but there were 2 other eunotus/cruzi-like species. One was this species (now the holotype and some of the paratypes). We all looked at each other and just smiled. We finally knew a location for this beautiful fish. Sadly Ecuador is very restrictive on their fish exports (actually all native plants and animals). It is not likely to find its way into the hobby unless someone smuggles the fish out of the country or it is found in the Peruvian parts of the Río Napo system. OK, Tom, here is your next collecting expedition!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
David, I just got a copy of the paper. I don't know Dr.Hahn personally. I understand that he is primarily an ecologist who has done research in many places: Siberia, Arizona, Chile, and lately in Peru. He works as much with bird ecology as with fish.

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes Ingo is a great guy and good friend. His thesis had something to do with ants. One trip we all took from San Francisco to Gold Beach up Hwy one so Uwe could photograph shore birds. When we got to my house he got tripped out on a giant ant hill by my deck. He would take a cooler full of beer and a chair out there and watch the ants. He once spent a year on an island off the coast of Chile and and ate nothing but goat. He was studying finches of course. His work in Peru now is associated with the rain forest. He is a brainy guy.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….