• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. minima (?) Help ID pleas

JD.

Buenas noches, estoy tienen un apistogramma jóvenes de 15 y no estoy seguro de que esta especie es, agradeceria que me pueda ayudar, sospecho que son los mínimos A., vinieron bajo el nombre de A. Irinidae.
IMG_20160419_154121_zpsf1zlqt0w.jpg
IMG_20160419_154355_zpssif0wjdk.jpg
IMG_20160419_154207_zpsdtguu5h3.jpg
IMG_20160419_154210_zpsx8tgmixd.jpg
IMG_20160425_131807_zpsnn4xxonf.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Sí, es A. mínima. Previamente fue llamado A. sp. Weissaum (blanco borde), A. sp. Mínima, y A. sp. Tavi.

Yes, it is A. minima. It previously was called A. sp. Weissaum (White Seam), A. sp. Minima, and A. sp. Tavi.

JD.

Thank you, You know something about their reproduction or maintenance? You know the dimorphism sexual? I could not find many information about this species in general. You have manteined this fhis?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
This species is rarely kept in the hobby. It never is sold commercially. It only comes to us as a by-catch/contaminant or misidentified, like your specimens. I never kept this species, but those who have report that it is much like A. pertensis or A. iniridae. It requires blackwater conditions (very soft and acid water values) for breeding. Sex differences are minor. Males have slightly longer, more pointed, tips on the dorsal and ventral fins. Female are slightly deeper bodied with shorter, more rounded, tips on the dorsal and anal fins. Color is similar in both sexes and females show little black pigment on the ventral fins, unlike on many other species of apistos.

Reactions: JD.

Tom C

5 Year Member
I have several Apistogramma minima for the moment. They were all by-catch with Dicrossus filamentosus, in Colombia.

Some of them breed right now; nothing happened before the pH was below 5. My water is filtered through peat to imitate blackwater.

resizeimage.aspx

In addition to what Mike said, males are usually more slender than the females:

Male:
resizeimage.aspx

Female:
resizeimage.aspx

I wish you good luck with them!

Reactions: JD.

JD.

Thank you very much , I think I have to get me some more test and live food to try their luck with these fish , I really like . They have been very helpful What do you recommend to lower the pH of the water? now it is at 6.0

tom C congratulate you on this set , you have some very nice fish , the photos will help me a lot, I 've always had problems with D. filamentosus , I buy ten or twenty females never leave after becoming adults.

Last edited:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If you have soft to moderately soft water with a low carbonate hardness (dKH), you can lower the pH by filtering the water through peat. If you have hard water, you will need to first make it softer with distilled, reverse osmosis, or deionized water.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….