• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. mendezi buoyancy issue?

MadHatter

5 Year Member
I have a female A. mendezi that is behaving quite oddly. She appears to have trouble maintaining buoyancy and spends most of her time resting with her belly on the bottom or a suitable surface such as the horizontal leaves of Hydrocotyle leucocephala. She seems otherwise bright and lively and in good condition. I assume it must be a swim bladder problem, though she is not listing at all to one side or the other.
She had a male in with her when her symptoms started. I have since removed him and he is not showing any similar symptoms.
To be honest, I've never seen the like of it and would be pleased to get some advice on what might be causing it and how to treat it.

gerald

5 Year Member
Could be the swim bladder or the blood vessels that regulate the gas supply in & out of the swim bladder. Could be from some type of bacterial or viral infection, or various non-infectious causes. I dont know of any med likely to be helpful. Best treatment is probably a good diet and water conditions and hope it resolves itself. Even if she's stays that way, she may still be able to breed OK.

wethumbs

5 Year Member
If it is bacteria infection (most likely), then you can try Maracyn 2 (Minocycline) that is sold in US. You can also try that in combination with Erythromycin which is Maracyn 1 in US. Not sure what brand you have in AUS. Minocycline is broad spectrum and Erythromycin is gram positive. They are safe to combine under the correct dosage.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Minocycline is one of the less effective gram negative antibiotics. Better ones might be tetracycline, a broad spectrum antibiotic, (if the bacteria isn't resistant to it yet) or Kanamycin. Other members might suggest others.

MadHatter

5 Year Member
Quick update:
All it took was some R&R. :)
I never got around to sorting out the right antibiotic so she has just had plenty of rest.
After several weeks, I am pleased to report that she is pretty much back to normal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….