• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. Macmasteri with swollen vent

Sostratos

I have a pair of Macmasteri in a 55g planted tank. I noticed yesterday that the female has a noticeably swollen vent, and she's acting somewhat shy. I just did a water change Tuesday, although I haven't been having any issues with water quality. I feed them flake food with weekly treats of frozen bloodworm, and they share the tank with a single Angelfish, some nerite snails, and a bristlenose pleco.

I snapped this pic just before I made this post. She's been mostly hovering in the corner with her mouth slightly open, as you can see here.
DSC_03631.jpg

gerald

5 Year Member
Camel-anus .... thus the "hump" ... (sorry couldn't resist) ;)
That does look like Camallanus symptom, but it might be a different parasite or bacterial infection.
Look carefully for the little worm-tails poking out when the fish is sitting still.

Sostratos

Camel-anus .... thus the "hump" ... (sorry couldn't resist) ;)
That does look like Camallanus symptom, but it might be a different parasite or bacterial infection.
Look carefully for the little worm-tails poking out when the fish is sitting still.
Unfortunately, the little female died. I never saw any worms poking out. I think she must have had some sort of obstruction that she couldn't pass.

Daneland

Sorry resurrecting an old topic. My A.cacatuoides has same thing and last a couple of days it keeps hiding in a cave most of the times. I dont see any blood or worms coming out from the vent. How likely it is a Camallanus? Should I start Levamisole HCl regardless of correct diagnosis or keep watching afew more days?
Thanks in advance

Daneland

It came out from the cave and I took some photos. They dont show the swollen vent clear. It has sort of convulsions, shakes itself and occasionally makes erratic movement. I saw him once when rubbing his back to a piece of wood. Female had a similar protrusion but it disappeared when I saw it last or almost did.

IMG_20180607_220043_HDR.jpg IMG_20180607_215923_HDR.jpg IMG_20180607_215814_HDR.jpg

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
The clamped fins and dark colour make that a fairly unhappy looking Apistogramma. The first photo looks pretty definitive for Camallanus, and I would treat the fish straight away.

"Harka Verm"
I used at 12 cm3 in 60 litres. Details are in <"Camallanus worms"> thread.

cheers Darrel

Daneland

OK i dosed with Harka Verm today @1.00 pm , poor male is still hiding in a cave and cant see female at all,. But she was in a better shape yesterday .
My question how quickly should I expect them to recover ?

Daneland

Another update, today after 24 hour from the medication, male apisto was looking better and fins were not clamped, but still shaking and more importantly I can see fiber like things still are sticking out from the anus and it is swollen. I dosed 10 ml again and I will wait until tomorrow evening. I guess, worms should have gone by now from its anus, isn't it ?

Daneland

The female has gone and male still has worms,I did medication for 3 days and doubled the dose last day.I took dithers in to another tank.It is an empty cycled shrimp tank.I will keep them there until I am sure they dont have anything in their system. I dont think that I can save the male, is euthanasia right way to go? I will empty the water with a really good siphoning of the substrate.I dont want to get rid of the sand substrate as washing it a new bag of sane will be a real pain. How can I disinfect it from worms, cysts etc? w/o changing the substrate. There are only a few plant that I can remove. I am really pissed off, they were in the main tank before I transferred them to 60L and I dont know what I will do if an outbreak starts there. Little buggers they are really pain in the a%$

Last edited:

gerald

5 Year Member
Overuse of antibiotic and anti-parasite drugs at ornamental fish farms has created drug-resistant strains in recent years. Camallanus and several other diseases are more common now in aquarium fish world-wide, and harder to treat than in years past.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….