• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

900L Rio Nanay Biotope Species

Jordan

Hi all,

I have recently picked up a 1200x1200x630 aquarium.

I am looking to do a Rio Nanay Biotope, lots of driftwood, Echinodorus Amazonicus, Hydrocolyte leocuphala and dwarf sag.

In the past I have kept and bred every species of Apisto available here in New Zealand.

I have managed to secure some Discus with their lineage going back to wild caught and plan on having 6 of these in the aquarium along with Corydoras Atropersonatus, Rummynose Tetra, Hypoptopoma sp. Peru Orange and if I can convince my buddys at the importers hopefully some Dicrossus.

What Apistos from the Rio Nanay would do well with incresed temp and how many would work with the footprint of the tank?

MacZ

What units are the numbers? Millimeters? So 120x120cm is the footprint, right? If correctly structured you can keep half a dozen Apistos (make sure it's just one species) in that tank easily, maybe a few more. I would rather go low numbers as you have some other bottomdwellers (Corydoras) on your list, that need open sand and only some driftwood for cover. I'd probably put structure around the sides and back, then leave a relatively large oben space to the middle and front.

For both, dwarf cichlids and Corydoras I would probably also leave the dwarf sagittaria and instead do a lot of leaf litter and small branches and twigs.

Specieswise: Populations of A. agassizii and A. bitaeniata are known from the Nanay, as well as A. allpahuayo. Probably a few more, but those should be the ones easiest to obtain.

Dicrossus in my opinion would rather get lost in a tank that size, especially at the sizes they are often imported at.
I would probably do a smaller species tank for them instead. Also would only combine them with A. agassizii or A. bitaeniata, I doubt it would go well with A. allpahuayo.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
My good friend TomC wrote me that I was WRONG (kind of) with my reply about the distribution of Dicrossus species. D. filamentosa and D. gladacauda are found in the upper Rio Orinoco systems of Colombia and Venezuela, too. Still, no Dicrossus species occur in the Rio Nanay in Peru. My guess is that you read this in the original German edition of Linke & Staeck's book that was translated into English for the ACA by my late British friend Jeff Challands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….