• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

90 gal breeder system (work in progress)

Brown Water

Here is some pictures and info about my new work in progress breeder system. It has been a dream to have something like this ever since I started in the hobby. now just getting around to building one :)

I will hopefully be expanding it/building more in the future if this one works out ok.

I got the rest of the tanks for my breeder system today, they are awaiting paint tomorrow and i have to track down a drill bit to bore some holes thru the bottom of the tanks. pumps on the way, bulkheads waiting to be put in, and the sump is ready and waiting in the other room. current stock in the running tanks is as follows. 5x green leopard angels, 2x A. gephyra, 2x A. hongsloi, 12x painted swords, 12x green spotted swords.

The system is gonna be split into 6 tanks on the left for sa fish. (apistos, angels, BN plecos) and then 2 tanks on the right are gonna be for the live bearers. I haven't quite figured that part out yet.

Gonna be running pvc up to the top tanks and then they are gonna overflow to the lower tanks, and then them into the sump almost all thru 3/4 pvc.

It will be up and running in full hopefully in the next week or so, just waiting on tracking down the diamond drill bit, pump and figure out the pvc route.

99.999% of this would not have been even possible without the help of my wonderful fiance.
I could take 2 square boards and make them into a circle. wood is my arch nemesis.

Let me know what you guys think!

www.photobucket.com/breedersystem

will post up more pictures at the link as it progresses.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Looks good. Only 2 things I can suggest. First make sure your tanks are not made from tempered glass. It can't be drilled without shattering into thousands of tiny pieces. Small tanks usually are made from float/plate glass, so yours shouldn't be a problem. Second, I suggest you add a thin layer of sand/very fine gravel to at least part of the apisto tanks. Apistos are geophagines and, like their larger eartheater brethren, enjoy sand sifting. If helps with their contentment.

Brown Water

two questions. one, what do you guys use for cheap light fixtures in your fish-rooms? was thinking like a dual t5 to get some low-moderate light plants growing nice. Also, has anyone drilled tanks here before? what do i use for lube on cutting the holes? have been told to use clay/plumbers putty to make a circle and keep the lube in. thanks for any suggestions in advance :)

Brown Water

posted up a few more photos of the system, also got a t8 dual 48" shop light for the lower levels. it sticks out a bit, but best and cheapest route atm. had to return my bulkheads and get 1/2" ones to be able to easily get a hole saw big enough to do the job... they need 1 1/8" holes, but the best i could come up with is 1 3/8ths hole saw.

I plan on practicing on a junk tank once or twice, then putting in the bulkhead to make sure the hole thru the glass isnt too big and the bulkhead will seal it sufficiently.

wish me luck.

oh and by the way... yet again something waiting on something else, i have to go track down a variable speed drill (20$ at a local no name tool store)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….