• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

3 Apistos that need an I.D.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
These three fish came in with a box of wild blue rams from Columbia. The fish entered the US on Sunday, got to me Monday night, and the pictures were taken Tuesday morning. I have my guesses as to species listed with the pictures.

Possibly a male macmasteri (at least macmasteri complex) 2 1/2"
IMG_9160.jpg

IMG_9137.jpg

IMG_9144.jpg

female (hopefully and hopefully a match to the macmasteri complex male!) 1 1/2"
IMG_9156.jpg

IMG_9147.jpg

IMG_9138.jpg

male A. alcrina 2 1/2"
IMG_9152.jpg

IMG_9145.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Ricardo is probably correct about the macmasteri-complex species. The caudal spot is more oval (mac-like) than square (viejita-like) or round (Schwarzkehl-like). The other fish looks like A. cf. alacrina (Rotpunkt) to me. Male A. alacrina should show rows of spots in the caudal fin. These fish must have been mixed sometime after collection, probably at the export facility. Rotpunct doesn't occur in the same system as macmasteri, and macmasteri comes from upper parts of the Orinoco, not the Llanos region where M. ramirezi occurs.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
It has shown black leading edges on the ventrals but not all the time. I'll pull them out over the weekend and see what becomes of them. Here's to hopeing for bioth sexes!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….