• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ID Needed Please

Saffa

5 Year Member
Hi folks

These were sold to me as A. bitaeniata. They came from Europe on a group import to South Africa late last year.

Are these female bitaeniata?? Please help?

Sean

0a1e5ed402a021698c82ea6cfbf9fa41.jpg

02b332d25ca0dfe0e56b4783bdd43dc0.jpg

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
With the usual disclaimer that I have a very poor record with ID's and sexing, and I've no idea what species it is, but the turquoise spangling and long ventral fins make me think it is probably a male.

cheers Darrel

Chromedome

5 Year Member
They could be female bitaeniata, but I suspect they are immature or hider males. I had this problem years ago, females were far fewer in number from any given batch. Probably the wrong temperature range when being raised.

Saffa

5 Year Member
Bugger... I'm the only person in the country who has this species, so what the heck am I going to do with 8 males?? It's so bloody frustrating.

However, in saying that, I have 4 fish in one tank. The only one the dominant male doesn't chase around is the fish in the second pic. So maybe, just maybe it's a female. I'm holding thumbs.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Don't hold your breath...those little guys in the pictures are not bitaeniata and I'm pretty sure they are male. I would agree with paucisquamis or something VERY close to that like mendezi (the broader lateral line has me leaning toward mendezi).

Saffa

5 Year Member
Had a look at pics of mendezi and paucisquamis and they are similar, but not the same. These fish don't have high dorsal fins. They don't have extensions. There is a slight red lining on the top of the dorsal. I don't know. It's bugging the hell out of me.

Also, there are sleeper males, and they are very different looking to these fish. Orange in the ventral fins, which is missing from these particular fish.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….