• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma cacatuoides "Super Red" male

Joe

I've now put him in his own tank because I have put my trifasciata back into the 140L tank as I had no luck breeding them (next time I will remove the fry from the 140L tank and raise them in a seperate tank).

dsc06160jj.jpg

dsc06233en.jpg

dsc06249x.jpg

dsc06296v.jpg

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Can't quite put my finger on why and it may just be stress, but he looks a bit washed out and un-happy in the last photos, once he's back in a planted tank with sand I'd keep an eye on him, as he just looks like he is beginning to lose condition. Can you feed him some BBS or Cyclops etc and see if he colours back up?

cheers Darrel

Joe

I positioned a mirror on the outside of the tank for him to flare at when I took those photos. When he flares his colours change a bit. Don't worry, he's perfectly healthy and eating just fine;) I've been feeding him lots of blackworms and he is behaving normally.

I don't have a planted tank, but I will try and get some Indian fern to put in his tank which will make it a bit more interesting for him. I also put some substrate in the tank yesterday. And I can't put him back in the 140L tank because he bullies all the other fish!

Here's some photos from last night.

dsc06347bp.jpg

dsc06384n.jpg

Melanochromis

I think he's growing very, very well. Good job. The washed out color happens to my cacatuoides too when he's flaring.

Your fish certainly reminds me of one of mine from several years ago. I got that fish from Singapore. I wouldn't be surprised if they came from the same breeding line or something.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Don't worry, he's perfectly healthy and eating just fine;) I've been feeding him lots of blackworms and he is behaving normally.........The washed out color happens to my cacatuoides too when he's flaring.
No problem, he looks fine in these photos.

cheers Darrel

Joe

Here's some new photos from last night:)

The clear patches on his dorsal and anal fin are starting to disappear and the black colouration has been improving. Also the front rays on his dorsal fin are starting to develope quite nicely. You can see that the fourth ray is starting to turn orange towards the top which will look really awesome.

dsc06398a.jpg

dsc06399q.jpg

A couple of head shots. That iridescent blue is gorgeous!

dsc06400s.jpg

dsc06411z.jpg

Here's a couple more shots.

dsc06405u.jpg

dsc06419li.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….