• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

WTB Steatocranus irvinei

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
They are around... not being bred as far as I know, but there are some around. There were two nice ones in the ACA show last July. I know that Rick Perez in Chicago had one in the show, but I do not know if he has others. The problem with importing that species is that it si really mean to others of its kind, and the country of origin doe snot have a well established fish export system. Shipment do make it out of Ghana, but not on aregular basis... or so I have been told.

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
Ted, could you please send Rick's contact information by PM? Thanks. (Please ignore this message if you already responded to the email I sent you a few days ago. I'm currently traveling in the DC area and don't have access to my home email account.)

Janos

Xanathos

5 Year Member
I have like 20 youngs growing up right now. I've been keeping a trio ( 1 male and 2 females ) for about 3 years now and they are breeding like rabbits ever since. The problem is : nobody knows about them around here so I'm always struggling to sell my youngs. :(

Still, I keep breeding them for fun, they are one of my favorite fish ever !

Let me know if you would like to try shipping.

Phil

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes!!! Let's try shipping. If you need insulated boxes, heat packs and breather bags let me know. Janos wants some, and I need them as well for and article in the works on the genus.

Ted

Xanathos

5 Year Member
Send me an MP with the informations.
I never tried to ship live fish from Canada to USA so we might have a bit of work to do to get it done but i'd be glad to share this species with you guys if we can manage it :)

Phil

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
Hi Ted and Phil: Do we want to do this in one single shipment? Might make it cheaper, given that we have to import the fish from Canada.

I'd take a small group.

Phil, I'll send you a PM.

Janos

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Getting fish shipped across from Canada is not easy to do without the right permits in place. Where in Canada are you?

Ted

Xanathos

5 Year Member
I'm in Quebec city, Quebec. I think that shipping one batch will be complicated enought so I rather send it in a single shot and let you guys sort it out :)

As for the price, just don't worry about it :)

Phil

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Let's just make this easy...ship the spawning pair to me and I'll distribute the off-spring to everyone :biggrin: As it sounds like there are way more takers on the fish then you have fry to ship.

I'd like t get some as well. I had the fish a few years ago but lost them (12 fish) due to unknown reasons. But unless you have another spawn growing up I think the count puts me on the waiting list.

And you can't move these things by you???

Jeff

Xanathos

5 Year Member
Let's just make this easy...ship the spawning pair to me and I'll distribute the off-spring to everyone :biggrin:

he he he.. Nice try :)

And you can't move these things by you???
It used to be much easier to bring fish throught the border in our lugages but thanks to some new US laws, you need to have a permit, schedule a meeting with some veterinary , which is only available at one frontier station, etc etc. Lots of troubles.

I can bring fish back from the USA with ease but I cannot enter with them, sadly :(

Phil

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
I meant "There isn't a "market" for S. irvinei in Canada?"

The border hassles are not something I like to deal with if I can avoid it. I've lost a fair number of fish due to customs being unable to process incoming fish for various reasons.

Jeff

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
Still trying to make this work. Unfortunately, most of the "pros" do not consider 20 irvinei worthwhile their time. I'm not ready to give up quite yet and will continue to do some shopping around.

jmtrops

5 Year Member
I don't know if it is the same as shipping to canada but I used to ship fish with FedEx to canada. I didn't tell them they were fish, told them it something non living and didn't have a problem. This doesn't work with big fish but small fish in breather bags might work.

Jim

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
Theoretically, this might work. Phil doesn't want to take a chance with the fish, which I understand. I have been (and still am) trying to work something out with various US-based dealers, but it looks like 20 fish are just not worthwhile their time and efforts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….