• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

dither fish

Greg PL

5 Year Member
which pencil would that be?
I don't like beckfordii, they seemed to disturb the apistos in my tank.
marginatus is smaller and more suitable - some 6-10 species should be fine
my personal favorite is N. eques. they are, by physiology, surface oriented. they also don't interact too much.

retro_gk

5 Year Member
I've kept N. beckfordi and N. marginatus as dithers for dwarf cichlids (still have the latter) and they are both awesome. School nicely at all levels, don't bother the cichlids and are very pretty.

I would go with around two dozen of either species for a 35 gallon tank. I keep groups of 6 in 10 gallon tanks.

I have not kept any of the larger Nanostomus with dwarfs yet. N. mortenthaleri and N. sp. coral red II/sp. purple are very similar to marginatus, so they should behave in a similar fashion, although they're usually a bit too expensive for my taste :D

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
I've got 12 Nannostomus eques in my 40g tank with Apistogramma and Nanochromis. They're ace, but do spend an awful lot of time at the surface. This may, or may not be a good thing, delends on your point of view I suppose!!!
Their mouths are so small I don't think they could eat any fry if they wanted to! (I'm sure I'm now going to hear all about the terrible predatory pencilfish everyone else has!!!)

Refael Hdr.

5 Year Member
I would definitely recommend Nannostomus eques and Nannostomus unifasciatus, I found them most suitable for many reasons. Furthermore, they are relatively easy to find in our region...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….