• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Starting out...

Mettle

5 Year Member
New to the forums, new to dwarf cichlids. Pretty new to cichlids in general. I have a pair of cons set up in a 29 gallon and I really enjoy them. They're great fish with lots of personality.

I have a spare tank in the basement and the lps has some A. cacatuoides in and I was thinking about getting myself a pair. I love these fish. Seen them on the net and in books, but never in person til two weeks ago, and I gotta say I think they're one of my fave fish. But I was wondering if I could keep them in a 15 gallon or not? And if they would breed? Because I would definitely be able to trade babies into the lps I'm buying them from.

I don't want to get the fish if I can't properly care for them...

I was thinking 15 gallon, heavily planted, a bunch of clay pots for hiding... Sound okay?

Thanks for any advice!

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Cacs are a good starter apisto... especially the tank-raised strains. They are hardy and tolerant of a wide range of water conditions. A 15 gallon is fine for a pair. Get some platies as dithers (personal preference), or go with the classic group of pencilfish. You do not need to plant the tank heavily. In fact, I suggest a few java fern or anubias tied to a piece of driftwood and use a very thin layer of sand as a substrate. Keeping it simple will facilitate cleaning and observation of the pair. Use a couple 2-3 inch flower pots or other caves of comparable size. I like to place the caves near or even under the driftwood.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I use silica sand that I get at the hardware store (we do not have a Home Depot within a three hour drive)... I just wash it by putting it in a bucket and running hoase water through it until the dust washes out. I have use play box sand too, but it is dustier than silica sand IME.

scott

5 Year Member
i use pool filter sand. it has very little dust compared to play sand and needs less rinsing. you should use a pre filter of somesort if you are using a powerfilter or else the sand grains could harm the impeller if any is churned up during cleaning, etc. this will also stop the predation of any fry by the filter. good luck and happy fishkeeping. if you are interested in some very nice dr and tr cacs, send me a pm or e-mail

Mettle

5 Year Member
Thanks for the info on the pre-filter. It seems incredibly practical though it totally escaped my mind!

Also... Am very interested in some dr and tr cacatoos, Scott, but I unfortunately live in Canada and doubt you can get them to me. :frown: But thanks for the offer.

Looks like I'll have to pay the insane Ottawa prices... Oh well, kinda used to it now.

scott

5 Year Member
i should have noticed, it's right under your name. for a pre-filter i just use a block of filter foam and cut a slit in it to slide the intake tube into. i leave the strainer right in place it seems to help dispurse(spelling?) the water flow more evenly so no fry or sand will get sucked in. they do sell prefilters that look like this http://www.kensfish.com/files/pre_fil__3.jpg but it's probably cheaper to use the foam.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….