• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lake Glemende biotope

MatB

Hi
This is my first post on forums (except for participation in the photo contest picture nr.4:)
I wanted to create biotope aquarium for Apistogramma sp. "Abacaxis". I've read all about the lake Glemende what I was able to find and didn't find information about dither fish from the lake. Does anyone have some confirmed information about the species found in the lake?
I'll be very grateful for information.

I hope you will forgive me my imperfect English :)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I just re-read Linke's introduction of the species. In it he doesn't list any species found with them except half-grown Discus. This is hardly surprising because the water values were extreme: muddy, blackwater pH 3.9, dGH & dKH <1, 8 µS/cm @ 29.8°C. You could check Fishbase for the lower Rio Madeira and see what occurs there.

ErtyJr

While I don't recall much from when I read about it a specific quote sticks in my head which was "surprised by the lack of almost any other life (or maybe fish)" besides Apistogramma sp. abacaxis. The pH was in the 3's as mike mentioned and had a very low TDS. All in all the lake has some very very extreme waters that very few fish can survive. It's what makes this species so challenging and fun to breed!

I must admit though I am quite interested in this now that you mention it. If you come up with any info please do share. My pair just spawnes, in fact I should be seeing my free swimmers tomorrow. I absolutely love my A. sp. abacaxis.

MatB

Thanks very much for all descriptions of the lake. I did not find other information about species that inhabit this lake, I decided to resign from a purely biotope aquarium for general BW.
Below are some photos of my newly arrived residents :)
1. Apistogramma sp. "Abaxaxis" WF
2. Carnegiella strigata WF
3. Nannostomus marginatus WF
_MG_4453.jpg
_MG_4354.jpg
Nannostromus marginatus.jpg

Rio Negro

Amazing tank..AMAZING photos! I'm new to this forum, too. I love what you're doing with this one and look forward to seeing it evolve!

-Scott

Fikret Celik

5 Year Member
Excellent and awful... Thanks for the pictures... I think not just pictures, live in gorgeous... Congratulations!

MatB

Canon Eos 7D, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, Canon Speedlite 580EX II and some cheapest extension tubes for true macro shots and Adobe PS for final touch :)

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
h1ns

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….